Thread: Grouse by gravel roads

Default Grouse by gravel roads

Are grouse still hanging out at dawn and dusk near gravel roads at this part of the year or are they primarily high in the trees? Thank you. I was thinking of doing some drive by of gravel roads and see if i can find them on the side during dawn and dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Are grouse still hanging out at dawn and dusk near gravel roads at this part of the year or are they primarily high in the trees? Thank you. I was thinking of doing some drive by of gravel roads and see if i can find them on the side during dawn and dusk.
    Although it has been a crappy winter, we still have solid snow cover up here, so they're coming to the roads to pick up grit. This winter and last has been hard on them though, and the population seems to be way down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We still have some but you can't shoot them there so its no help till they hit the trees.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

so when they move onto the grass where the gravel ends you can shoot them right? might involve having to wait a while?

You cannot shoot from, across or onto a constructed driveable surface.

Understand that grouse primarily eat spruce needles in the winter and as such taste much like chewing on a spruce tree. In my opinion, it's better to focus on ptarmigan and hares in the winter while leaving grouse hunting for the fall.

Grouse flock to gravel roads in the fall as that is their last chance to fill their gizzards with grit before the long winter of little or no grit available.
    Generally Spruce grouse move into the spruce trees this time of year. The needles become the mainstay of their diet and influence the taste of their meat.
    Spruce grouse have two main defense tactics that often save their lives from 4 legged and winged predators. One is freezing in place on the gravel road which blends them in and makes them harder for predators with lousy eyesight to see. The other is to fly into a nearby spruce tree and hide under the branches making them harder to find by sharp eyed winged predators.
    When encountered on the roadways the best tactic is to slowly and quietly walk up to them. With some luck they will just run off the road thinking you are not a serious threat. Then you can step off the road and shoot them. If they decide to fly watch where they go. It will usually be in a nearby tree. Stalk up to the tree off the road and shoot them. Be careful because if you spook them out of the tree they will usually fly some distance the second time and become very difficult to find.
    If you can't seem to find which exact tree they are in wait a minute or two listening carefully. They will often give a cluck or two letting you know where they are at. This is especially true if they are in a pair or group of birds.
    Keep in mind you must be off the drivable surface of the roadway and cannot shoot towards the road.
    Do not under any circumstances shoot one on,to, from or across the driveable surface of the roadway or if the bird refuses to move at all. The troopers catch many unsuspecting hunters each year with a fake bird put out to catch violators.
    Also I for one do not want a .22 bullet in myself or my truck.
    Good luck finding them. If you do be sure and post a hunt report on the forum.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"