Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 for Sheep & goat

Default .308 for Sheep & goat

Looking for experinces and suggestions on hunting sheep with a .308. Also bullets? I have a family hunt booked in Kodiak for deer & goat over turkey day this year and also have a sheep hunt scheduled for 2015 in the Alaskan Range for my youngest daughter. We presently own 2ea youth model's .308 Weatherby Vangard II's (20" barrel's). One is the wifes and one is Kara's. I have done little hunting for sheep & goats except one harvested goat almost 20 years ago. I primarily hunt with my old .300 Rem but it seems obvious to take both .308's on the sheep hunt. Reasons would be that the rifles are light, same ammo, and incase something happens to one rifle, Kara can still shoot the other. Concerns I mostly have are what type of bullets to use for sheep & goat. Things like bullet drop and velocity. I have read more then once here that sheep arn't necessary hard to kill while goats can be tougher to bring down. Currently we are shootiing 150gr Barnes and the rifle REALLY likes them but we have only shot moose close up and a few caribou under 150 yards. Thoughts?

Put a good shot in the middle of the boiler room and it'll be a dead critter. I do think that goats are extremely tough - especially if you don't hit them real good. Saw 3 shot last year - and they are tougher than Griz IMO.

Sounds good but what I am trying to figure out is what bullet we should be using for some distance shooting with as little drop as possible but still enough to knock them down..

My son has used the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain accubonds with great success.

I think the .308 is the perfect round for youth given lack of recoil and devastating results with today's modern bullets.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

For sheep, stick with your 150gr Barnes. For goats, if you are intent on using the .308, i suggest as heavy as you can go and practice and learn your ballistics with that round. I shot a goat with a .338 win mag 210gr partition through the boiler room and it did not anchor him

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I like the .308 a lot and have hunted with it a lot too.

If your rifle likes the Barnes then I'd probably save the hassle and just shoot them as they'd work on almost anything up here pretty well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

On more vote to stick with the Barnes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot a goat last year with 180 grain Federal Powershock bullets, out of my 30.06. Did the job.

Try some of the Hornady Superformance ammo.

Hit my goat this year high in the shoulder with a 150 TTSX from my 280 AI, DRT. I would go with what you or the rifle like.

My wife got a sheep this year at 200 yards using her .308. She was shooting a Barnes 150 grain bullet and it worked just fine.

IMO for most all 30 cal bullets, 180 grain is the base round. You want longer shots and less weight needed - go less. You want to feel like you need more than go heavy.

For me, 200 yards or less = 180 grn
    Last edited by tzieli22; 02-04-2014 at 21:38. Reason: Typo
    Tony

Stick with the Barnes 150.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    IMO for most all 30 cal bullets, 180 grain is the base round. You want longer shots and less weight needed - go less. You want to feel like you need more than go heavy.

For me, 200 yards or less = 180 grn
    So what is the "average distance shot" on sheep? I'm not talking about fancy long distance shooting but what is a typical distance to plan for? I know we are comfortable shooting out to 250 yards but is it commen, or should we expect to shoot further? Getting into this sheep stuff a little late in the game. In fact if it wasn't for the kiddo's wanting a chance at some sheep I doubt I would have even entertained the thought. Thanks for the responses!

I would say being proficient out to 250 should be more than adequate. You may miss a chance at a ram farther out that you can't close the distance on, but with patience I'd wager that the vast majority of sheep can be taken within that range. My first ram was taken at about 400 yards, but the rest of them have all been inside 50 yards.

If you’re buying factory ammo, I recommend Federal GoldMetal Sierra 168gr or 175. This two workgreat for .308’s and If I can drop a moose, brown bear and hit an 8in target at 600 yards with a 168gr out of an M1A, you will have no problem dropping sheep & goat. If 150gr is all you have the will work well too. The 308 is a great cartridge. You will do just fine if your bullet placement is well placed. Good luck on your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    If you’re buying factory ammo, I recommend Federal GoldMetal Sierra 168gr or 175. This two workgreat for .308’s and If I can drop a moose, brown bear and hit an 8in target at600 yards with a 168gr, you will have no problem dropping sheep & goat.Good luck on your hunt.
    Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I seen those two types at Sportsmans yesterday. I was reading the ballistics and boy theres quite a drop when you get up close to those weights..

Zero at 200 and you don't have to worry to much about the out to 300yd.

If your at 50 you'll hit 2in high and 3in low at 300.

based on the research I've done on the 308 and optimal bullet trajectory and energy retention for longer ranges, the 165 and 168 grain bullets are the optimal weight. I really like the accubonds, but you should find what shoots most accurately from the rifle and use that bullet. 150s would work OK from the 308, but the 165/168 would give you more down range energy. When using a solid copper like the barnes, the 150 would probably be pretty comparable to a 165/168 as far as penetration goes, since it retains 99% of its weight during penetration and expansion.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast