Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewmar pro-series/fish 700

Default Lewmar pro-series/fish 700

I own this windlass in the subject thread officially it says Pro Fish 700. HT 1/4 in chain 1/2 inch 3 ply or 12 mm 8 plait line. I've read thread after thread here, Hull Truth and various other sites as well as YouTube. Problem there no decision as to which line to purchase. I'm wanting to get 600 ft with 30 ft of chain but after all the reading about line problems I'd just appreciate a suggestion as to what brand works best with this windlass and is there an online site to go to for ordering or is there a good spot in Anchorage to buy line, chain together.
    I read Lewmar's owners manual where they want to sell their brand but I just know from all my climbing years that ropes and lines are made by a hand full of companies, so somewhere out there Lewmar has a company that makes line.

Steve the pot builder has given me some pointers and he suggested that I post this to see if there are any Lewmar ProFish or Pro Series 700 owners out there that can help.

BTW from reading I'm assuming the Pro 700 is a dual Gypsy, but I could be wrong.
    Thank you,
    Scott

I have the same windless. I bought 600' of cheap three strand from an Anchorage boat shop. Don't do it. Get high quality three strand or braided 1/2". Save yourself a lot of grief. You need BBB chain. Since switching I've had no problems, before almost every set there was a problem.

While I don't have the Lewmar, I have a very similar windlass made by Quick. I started with 600 feet of 8 plait and 50 feet of chain. I started last season and initially I was very happy. The plait lays really nicely and because my anchor box was not as big as I truly needed, it was ideal. However, about midway through the season the line began to fray and started to slip in the windlass. By the end of the season I almost had to pull it through the windlass nearly every inch of the way. I'll called Quick and they have mixed reviews on their windlass and it's handling of plait and they suggested I go with a good quality 3 strand nylon. I have done so this winter but haven't used the new rode yet. I suspect I will not be able to use all 600 feet but I'm going to try. I would recommend Donaldsons in Anchorage, I'm told they carry a good product and their price is good for a full spool. They were out when I needed mine so I went to B&Js. Seems to be good stuff but time will tell.

I have the Lewmar profish and special ordered the 8 plait rope from Seco South in Florida (not sold in Alaska, at least when I ordered 5 yrs ago). Call them directly for better shipping options (i.e. USPS). I have had the 8 plait for 5 years and it works great with the windlass. Lays flat and has held up well. Let me know if you have any further questions and hope this helps.

I have the Pro 700 and had one on my previous boat. I have 50' of BBB chain that I ordered from Fisheries Supply because I couldn't find it locally. For both boats, I bought three strand nylon from AIH and had no problems other than trying to lay in too much line and not having enough fall. After shortening to about 500', I've had no issues. There has to be adequate fall for the rode to coil in with out backing up the windlass. I have about five seasons on the present rode and it looks pretty good.

I've got the Profish 700 and use 8-plait without any trouble, though do note some fraying after about 5 years of use. I got it from Defender back then, about $300 for 500 ft if I remember right but price has gone up a lot as well as shipping. Don't get double braid as mentioned above. I tried it and it's too soft for the gypsy to grab. Mount it over the deepest part of your anchor locker to get the best tailing of rode possible. My locker is barely big enough for the 500 ft and I've got to mend it when I retrieve the anchor.

Check out my earlier post on this unit to keep it from jamming up. It's not made for our deep water halibut fishing but with the proper procedures can do OK.

Funny you should ask. I have the same windless, it came with about 200 feet of what I assumed was 1/2 inch 3 strand, I wanted 600' so purchased a 100 fathom shot of 1/2" 3 strand from Arctic wire and rope. The new line appeared to be a smaller diameter but just figured the line that came with the boat had swelled, dumb assumption.
    Long story short the new line would occasionally slip in the winch cogs to the point I would have to help it feed while the Admiral held the switch. The only time I let out lots of line is fishing on the hook or in an emergency, so I cut off about 200' of the Acetic wire line and spiced back the larger diameter 200' shot that came on the boat. The windless doesn't miss a beat now, and I'm getting pretty good at doing the line to chain splice.
    I was looking at some 1/2" three strand at WM the other day, the diameter appeared different amongst few I looked at. Totally confused now, not much help eather....
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Funny you should ask. I have the same windless, it came with about 200 feet of what I assumed was 1/2 inch 3 strand, I wanted 600' so purchased a 100 fathom shot of 1/2" 3 strand from Arctic wire and rope. The new line appeared to be a smaller diameter but just figured the line that came with the boat had swelled, dumb assumption.
    Long story short the new line would occasionally slip in the winch cogs to the point I would have to help it feed while the Admiral held the switch. The only time I let out lots of line is fishing on the hook or in an emergency, so I cut off about 200' of the Acetic wire line and spiced back the larger diameter 200' shot that came on the boat. The windless doesn't miss a beat now, and I'm getting pretty good at doing the line to chain splice.
    I was looking at some 1/2" three strand at WM the other day, the diameter appeared different amongst few I looked at. Totally confused now, not much help eather....
    Jay,
    look at where most of those ropes are made and you'll know why the diameters vary !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I hate to bring up an old thread but I lost my anchor and chain this weekend to the rocks. I've got another anchor but I'm not sure what chain to get. Will the galvanized 1/4" chain HD sells work or do I need to spend the extra to get BBB chain Arctic Wire and Rope sells? Galvanized it quite a bit cheaper but I want to get what works.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Unfortunately, you need the BBB to fit the gypsy cogs.

Quote Originally Posted by smtdvm View Post
    Unfortunately, you need the BBB to fit the gypsy cogs.
    Great thanks. I'd rather do it right the first time to thanks for the help.

What's BBB chain?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    What's BBB chain?
    http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/aboutgrading.htm

Glad you asked, I didnt know either.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Well my Lewmar windlass is going to be taken off the boat and I'm going to float haul the anchor instead. I had a problem on Vanderbilt Reef with it so I took it apart fixed it I thought and then again this past Friday/Saturday it did the same thing. After 13 messages back and forth with Lewmar I've come to the conclusion they will do anything except step up and help a person. The straw that broke the camel's back was Lewmar telling me that a 14 inch drop after all the line was in the box was to little. My rode box (and I sent them the measurements is 13x30x20 inches deep) Lewmar's web site says a minimum of 12 is needed to function. After 13 messages back and forth I figured it was so they could find wiggle room to not step up and help me fix the problem. I told them I needed a new gypsy as the old one got three of the inner small teeth chipped by the anchor chain and that the chips even though I tried to smooth them out grabs the line and pulls it back up into the unit so when hauling in it jams up.

My suggestion buy anyone else's windlass than Lewmar.

Might be worth putting the word out for someone on here that has a failed 700 with a still good gypsy. I bet you can get that thing working well in spite of Lewmar customer service. Like I saiid before, I've had very good luck with them (so far) but I'm not using it like a charter would. PM me in JNU if I can be any help to you or you need something to compare. Just hate the thought of someone forking out good money for something that should make life easier but doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    My suggestion buy anyone else's windlass than Lewmar.
    The Good windlass gets lots of positive feedback. Do a search on this subject and you'll find some threads on it. Expensive but the last one you'll buy. The other one that gets good reviews is the EZ Anchor Puller, an electric drum winch which is great if you have the deck space for it and fish deep water regularly. When my Lewmar guits (again!), I'll get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by smtdvm View Post
    Might be worth putting the word out for someone on here that has a failed 700 with a still good gypsy. I bet you can get that thing working well in spite of Lewmar customer service. Like I saiid before, I've had very good luck with them (so far) but I'm not using it like a charter would. PM me in JNU if I can be any help to you or you need something to compare. Just hate the thought of someone forking out good money for something that should make life easier but doesn't.
    PM sent with information for me. The thank you very much.

Here's a pic of a Good windlass i have.
    good1.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve, I appreciate the post but after dealing with the Lewmar folks I'll do without. BUT if I decide to get another down the road, I'm going to be sure to contact you first and foremost about the ins and outs of windlasses. I actually think the best way to go would be a capstan style as there are no teeth to chip or grab the line etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    Steve, I appreciate the post but after dealing with the Lewmar folks I'll do without. BUT if I decide to get another down the road, I'm going to be sure to contact you first and foremost about the ins and outs of windlasses. I actually think the best way to go would be a capstan style as there are no teeth to chip or grab the line etc.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence but i'll be the first to tell ya i know nothing about windlass's ! I'm sure there are members on here that can tell you the good & bad about all of them. I use my pot hauler for pulling my anchor and i just can't see why there is a need for one on a small boat when a good quality pot hauler can do many jobs. Take the time to set up a good fairlead system to lead the anchor rope back to the hauler and you'll never go back to a windlass.
    anchor & fairleads.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast