Thread: Symphony Lake?

Default Symphony Lake?

Was wondering if anyone lives out on the S Fork Eagle River/Hiland Rd area that might have an idea of how the trail to Symphony/Eagle Lakes looks? Thinking about making a day hike out there this weekend to flyfish for some grayling. Thanks in advance for any info!!!

I have a few friends who live up there, and they say that the trail is clear, though I imagine it would be pretty wet once you cross the bridge. Post a report and let us know how the fishing and hiking is. Have fun!

Did you end up hiking out to Symphony Lake? If so, any luck with the Grayling? I was thinking about heading up there soon.

thanks!

herman

Didn't end up going, looking up the valley from my home in eagle river, the clouds/rain looked a little ominous, didn't think I should drag the wife through the rain back there, maybe another weekend if the weather looks good...

About three or so weeks ago i went down to Symphony Lake and Eagle Lake. There was only a few muddy spots towards the middle of the trail. Tons of Ptarmigan all around. The only bad part was that the lakes were still mostly frozen over and if you wanted to go back to the Symphony Tarns, youd have to travel through a decent amount of snow. Other than that it was a good all day hike.

Smile Trip Report 6/8

My son and I hiked into the Lakes today. The trail was firm until we approached the debris field and then there were a couple of soft spots. The trail could use a little work at that point, because a stream of water was running down a 40 yard section. We saw one moose by Hanging Valley and a dozen or so birds that looked like kittiwakes at the Lakes. Maybe they were kittiwakes, but Iím not a bird expert. It looks to me like they were trying to catch fish.

Eagle Lake was about 1/3 covered in ice and Symphony was patchy, but mostly clear. It was gusting at least 40 MPH and snowing at times at the lake. In contrast, the trailhead was warm and sunny. The glaciers must have been making some of their own weather today. The wind calmed down a little bit before we left. There wasnít much traffic on the trail and we had the whole place to ourselves