Thread: Transom jack?

Default Transom jack?

I have a 16 ft hewes craft with a 4 stroke yammi 50 on it. Its an awesome boat and does almost everything I want it to.

I purchased a 2 stroke 55 hp Johnson with a jet unit on it (got it for steal) and I want to make it so I can swap back and forth between the motors.

This is something that is going to take a little work obviously and wont be just a 20 minute job but I think the fall/spring hunting opportunities will make it worth it. My question is.... Is there a transom jack that anyone recommends using for something like this? Would it be difficult to fab one with a welder and some steel?

Any input is appreciated.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Dewey's Cook Inlet has 3 or 5 models on display and at mail order prices and in stock. I used a CMC manual lift for my 50hp. Since you are swapping motors a more affordable option is a welded transom riser.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

+1 on the riser. If you are taking the time to unbolt/bolt the motors on and off, the transom jack isn't really going to save you anything. A riser could be left bolted to the Jet motor and use the same bolt holes that the 4-stroke uses. It would actually be less work since you wouldn't have to adjust the jack for each motor.

(I even know a welder that can build you an aluminum riser... )
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A hydrolic jackplate would allow you to fine tune the height that you need for the jet - also helps get into more shallow water with the prop on.

They are expensive, require a battery, and are heavier........obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I have a 16 ft hewes craft with a 4 stroke yammi 50 on it. Its an awesome boat and does almost everything I want it to.

I purchased a 2 stroke 55 hp Johnson with a jet unit on it (got it for steal) and I want to make it so I can swap back and forth between the motors.

This is something that is going to take a little work obviously and wont be just a 20 minute job but I think the fall/spring hunting opportunities will make it worth it. My question is.... Is there a transom jack that anyone recommends using for something like this? Would it be difficult to fab one with a welder and some steel?

Any input is appreciated.
    Swapping 50 horse motors around sounds like a chore, assume you wont be doing it very often, why not just install a lift and run the Johnson....? I know the yammie is quieter, better on fuel, doesn't stink.....but figure you dont want to give up the 5 2 stroke horses...
    I have a power trans lift, 7" of travel, has worked well, its a bit heavy for a small boat and you wont like the setback at all.......in fact any setback on a narrow boat will hurt your hole shot on the jet and will drift ass low......maybe keep your eyes peeled for another hull.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    +1 on the riser. If you are taking the time to unbolt/bolt the motors on and off, the transom jack isn't really going to save you anything. A riser could be left bolted to the Jet motor and use the same bolt holes that the 4-stroke uses. It would actually be less work since you wouldn't have to adjust the jack for each motor.

(I even know a welder that can build you an aluminum riser... )
    Not sure I've seen a riser. Do you have an example? What would one cost to make?

Im not too worried about running shallow water with the prop thats why I got the jet motor. Once that is set it shouldn't need to be moved correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Swapping 50 horse motors around sounds like a chore, assume you wont be doing it very often, why not just install a lift and run the Johnson....? I know the yammie is quieter, better on fuel, doesn't stink.....but figure you dont want to give up the 5 2 stroke horses...
    I have a power trans lift, 7" of travel, has worked well, its a bit heavy for a small boat and you wont like the setback at all.......in fact any setback on a narrow boat will hurt your hole shot on the jet and will drift ass low......maybe keep your eyes peeled for another hull.....
    It will probably only be twice a year or so. The jet will go on in the spring. Come off for july mostly and then the 2 stroke goes back on for the fall. My entire reason for buying the boat with a 4 stroke prop was fishing the kenai in july and august and using it in the inlet on occasion.

I figure if I run all the linkage etc it should be an fairly easy swap. I've got my eyes on another hull but I don't really have the place to put 2 boats, I don't even have the place to put one really but I've got that figured out for now.

If you have the facility to do it, a chain hoist on an I beam makes this a snap, I could put on and take off a 60 hp 4 stroke in less than a half hour when I winterized my rig. I made a rolling cart to hold the motor when not in use.

Would not go with a transom lift if I was you..... 4-8 bolts and you are all set.

A riser on a small boat could simply be a aluminum "U" to slip over the transom, likely 3/16" at a min, 1/4" would be better, but you may need some reinforcement when you run the jet. When you go from a prop to jet the motor will need to come up ~ 5", and you will have to disconnect and reconnect and likely adjust cables.....I dont know if the motor connections are the same on both...? Not a huge deal but on my motor I have to split the lower cowling and I ended up making a bell crank to make the swap..it helps....

Does the Johnson have the jet pump on it already? are both motors the same shaft length?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

how about a simple engine lift and add some nice big wheels/casters on it ?? Pick one motor off and set it on a rack then pick the other motor off the rack , roll over to boat set it down and bolt on. Cables might be a problem but nothing another control box couldn't fix. bolt on /off

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Here is one I did last summer. I think this one was a 5" and I charged $180. It's not just a box, it is three pieces of square tubing stacked and welded together then sandwiched with 1/4" plate all around. -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Here is one I did last summer. I think this one was a 5" and I charged $180. It's not just a box, it is three pieces of square tubing stacked and welded together then sandwiched with 1/4" plate all around. -

That may be what I am looking for.

Im not too concerned about lifting it on and off I never have a shortage of people looking to get on trips in the boat so therefore I never have a shortage of people willing to help work on it, chip in for gas, or pick up a motor when I need it.

I have the entire set of extra cable controls etc. The motor does already have the jet foot on it. The plan was to run all those cable and leave them in the boat so I can take the yammi off, stick the johnson on and then attach the cables in a relatively timely manner.

I don't think the shaft length is identical but they are very close maybe 1 or 2 inches difference. They are both long shafts but I know not every motor has the same measurement.