Thread: March travel back to Alaska

Default March travel back to Alaska

Well, after trying to live in the lower 48 for 2 years, we have decided to come home. We are planning on driving back up and right now, pulling a trailer with our household goods. I understand all the weather and road issues and will be well prepared for anything. My biggest concern is the access to go go juice. We plan on entering Canada in Montana and proceeding to the Alcan. Does anyone have any real world info on how far between OPEN gas stations it may be. What may be the longest stretch of no accessible gas??
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Well, after trying to live in the lower 48 for 2 years, we have decided to come home. We are planning on driving back up and right now, pulling a trailer with our household goods. I understand all the weather and road issues and will be well prepared for anything. My biggest concern is the access to go go juice. We plan on entering Canada in Montana and proceeding to the Alcan. Does anyone have any real world info on how far between OPEN gas stations it may be. What may be the longest stretch of no accessible gas??
    I don't have the answer to your question.. However, you might go onto Amazon.Com and look for a good used Milepost. That would be (IMHO) the best source of the info your looking for.

I always make the trip during the dead of winter, or winter shoulder seasons, and I'm not familiar with the stretch over toward Montana. I always go to one of the Washington crossings. Depends on the route you choose, but I've never had to go more than about 300 miles or so between fuel. That said, there are plenty of places that are not open 24 hours, and I have had to wait at the pumps a few times until a place opened up in the morning. I know of one place that caters mainly to truckers during the breakfast hours; he closes at noon. Some other places are 9AM to 10PM type operations. I did get into trouble once because I chose to press on rather than wait for the pumps to open...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Like iofthetaiga said, the Alcan Highway section shouldn't be a problem. Most distances between stops even in the middle of winter were 100 miles or less, but there were some that probably reached a little over 200 miles. Most of those tended to have a small, more remote location that you could stop at if you wanted, but would be paying about double or more per liter. By far, most stations are open year round, but the smaller ones may not be automatic, so are only open during the day when a worker is available to handle payment. I did the drive 4 times in the winter in my Subaru that gets around 300-330 miles/tank on highway driving in the winter and never remember getting below 1/4 tank on the longer runs.

Something like the Milepost book recommended above will help a lot with telling you accurate distances between each town. Try to top off at any big town you are in even if you figure you have enough to reach the next one. If you end up having to fill up somewhere inbetween the larger towns, you will be paying a premium price for bottom grade fuel, usually around double the normal prices. Since you have a trailer, I would suggest having a couple extra cans with you just to ensure you can make the longer distance between big towns just to save the money on cheaper fuel.

We have the Milepost from last year on sale right now: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...78aauappbusp56 in our online bookstore. Check it out. If you would like to order one, we have 4 left.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I don't have the answer to your question.. However, you might go onto Amazon.Com and look for a good used Milepost. That would be (IMHO) the best source of the info your looking for.

Thanks for the replies! I have dug out my milepost already and started highlighting some things already. Have set aside my extra gas cans. Will fill them up after crossing the border unless their rules have changed. Thanks again. I can't wait to get back home!!!
    EricL

Eric,
    Plan a stop at laird hot springs, if you haven't already.
    In my experience, the road is better in Feb/March timeframe.
    Welcome back!
    BK

Thanks guys for all the intel. One quick question: Are there any limits on how much fuel I can take across the border? I thought I had heard I can't have extra gas cans. I have tried to find the information but not having any luck. Any real-world knowledge out there??
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Thanks guys for all the intel. One quick question: Are there any limits on how much fuel I can take across the border? I thought I had heard I can't have extra gas cans. I have tried to find the information but not having any luck. Any real-world knowledge out there??
    I seem to think there was some limit, but if there is, just bring the empty cans and fill them up at the first big town you are in where the prices are the cheapest. No issue with carrying fuel while in Canada even if there is a problem with carrying it across the border. I'm sure you should be able to google the US/Canada border crossing restrictions pretty quickly.

We came up the ALCAN this December towing our 35' fifth wheel. The first 5 days was in a snow storm. It snowed for 5 straight days. I had 25 gallons of diesel and 10 gallons of gas in cans in the back of the truck. Never had to use any of it. Getting fuel wasn't a problem. We only traveled during the day. The roads were pretty much ice. They do a good job of keeping it cleared. With that said, there were sections that had lots of drifts and blowing snow. Make sure you have a good set of studded tires on. We bought chains for the truck and even a set for the 5th wheel. Did not have to use them either. We took our time and all was good. We did not run into any extreme temps, I think the coldest we saw was -15 just for a short period. I'd say it averaged out to around -5 to zero F. Just be safe and take you time and you should be fine.

One thing though, when ever a trucker would pass from either direction, I would pull over and come to a complete stop because the blowing snow, you can't see for like 30 seconds. But like I said, we were in a 5 day snow storm. Good luck...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Great intel Stanly!! Thanks!
    EricL

I have been traveling in and out of canada never have had them ask about fuel I was bringing 6 5 gal cans now I have a 99 gal tank and electric pump. saves bucks with big tank. that being said fill up in bigger towns and hit tok on fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    I have been traveling in and out of canada never have had them ask about fuel I was bringing 6 5 gal cans now I have a 99 gal tank and electric pump. saves bucks with big tank. that being said fill up in bigger towns and hit tok on fumes.
    Are you hauling Diesel or Gas in the tank?
    Is it in one of the external tanks in the bed?
    I will be driving up and would like to haul a extra 100 since my truck gets poor MPG, instead of missing with 5gal tanks.

We arrived in Anchorage yesterday. 8 days, 7 hours of driving. Had to put all new rubber on my brand new trailer. It was a little heavier than the original tires could handle. Other than that, it was a great drive. Canada asked a lot of questions especially about guns and ammo. I had all my paperwork in order showing where I shipped all guns. The did ask about high cap magazines. Wasn't expecting that. No questions about extra gas. Overall, it was a great trip!! Now to find a home!!
    EricL

Great to hear! Glad it all went well, hopefully spring will be here soon...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573