Thread: Freeing rusted screws and pins in guns

Default Freeing rusted screws and pins in guns

Im restoring a very old and very rusted gun and all of the screws and pins in the receiver are seized tight with rust. I cant drive out the pins and am starting to strip out the slotted screw heads and still the screws wont break free. After an online search I found this tip for breaking free rusted screws and bolts.

Machinist’s Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.

Penetrating oil ….. Average load
    None …………………. 516 pounds
    WD-40 ……………….. 238 pounds
    PB Blaster ………….. 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench …….. 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil …………… 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix…….53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 – 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product at unseizing rusted fasteners. Its much less expensive than specialty oils as well. A quart of ATF is less than $5 and a quart of acetone (fingernail polish remover) costs about the same.

Palmer, AK

The best stuff Ive ever found for breaking stuff loose is called Gibbs. You can't buy it locally that Ive ever seen, but it is way better than any of the ones listed above. I usually order it from their website . Spray some on and let it sit overnight and most times things will be loose the next day. I used it on bolts on my 79 CJ7 and they came loose.

Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.

Yes I have used it and it works well, add some heat if you can to help it penetrate.

If your gun is extremely rusted before going to oils do an electrolyses rust removal bath, if you don’t know how Google it. Then go to the oil for a very long time, a week or more. Next heat and shock cool with ice a couple times, last heat around the fastener and tap it back and forth. Pins should come out from the tapping now screws apply some torque and tap the back of the tool. If it don’t come stop and soak in oil more . . . Very little I’ve run into hasn’t come loose but sometimes the only way is to mill out the fastener and pick the bits out of the threads.
    On the web=
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

The ATF and acetone thing sounds a lot like "Ed's Red" which you should google for some interesting reading. I use ATF mixed 50/50% with stoddard solvent as my general gun cleaning solvent.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Eds Red is the bomb. Along with the other home brews.
    Henry Bowman for President