Thread: Breaking free rusty screws/bolts

Default Breaking free rusty screws/bolts

Im restoring a very old and very rusted gun and all of the screws and pins in the receiver are seized tight with rust. I cant drive out the pins and am starting to strip out the slotted screw heads and still the screws wont break free. After an online search I found this tip for breaking free rusted screws and bolts.

Machinist’s Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.

Penetrating oil ….. Average load
    None …………………. 516 pounds
    WD-40 ……………….. 238 pounds
    PB Blaster ………….. 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench …….. 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil …………… 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix…….53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 – 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product at unseizing rusted fasteners. Its much less expensive than specialty oils as well. A quart of ATF is less than $5 and a quart of acetone (fingernail polish remover) costs about the same.

I would have bet on the Kroil... it has always worked well for me

thanks for the post

Chris

ATF/Acetone is basically Ed's Red home brew bore cleaner. I'd never considered using it to free rusty bolts.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Now that is very good info, who would think Kroil was not as good? Thank you so much.

Somewhat related, I read the other day about how to remove a screw from a bed of epoxy. Hold a soldering iron to the head of the screw and when the metal reaches a temp of about 120 F the epoxy should soften enough to let go of the screw.