Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: I Can't stand it!!!

  1. #1
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default I Can't stand it!!!

    Less than 3 weeks for the draw results and going stir crazy. Never put in for one before and now I see what everyone has been talking about. Im praying the good Lord shines upon me and I have 1st timers good luck. Put in for a low draw success rate on a moose so i didn't donate as much as many here have.

    Wish everyone the best. This is almost as bad as gambling, it could get addictive.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

  2. #2
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I know…got a lot of hunt planning to do after the draw depending on the results. Pretty impatiently waiting myself…I think for the family I put in something like 14 or 15 draws.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think for the family I put in like 14 or 15 draws.
    That's all?? . Between my wife and I, we're in for 37 applications - I shudder to think of the cost once my boys are 10!

  4. #4
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's all?? . Between my wife and I, we're in for 37 applications - I shudder to think of the cost once my boys are 10!

    I thought that was pretty good considering I'll be in Africa from Aug 15- Sept 15!!!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I thought that was pretty good considering I'll be in Africa from Aug 15- Sept 15!!!
    Ha! No doubt. I'll be happy with something for the freezer or even a distant ram that dances with the clouds before disappearing. Good luck to you in the draw and in Africa!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Wow! Brian, you go big. I thought I was doing good with my 8. It is addictive, I have already bought stuff for hunts for which I hope to be drawn. This is a great time of year to be planning and breaking in new boots (one of the goodies I bought) and waiting for the white stuff to melt so I can get back outside. Good luck, guys!

  7. #7
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I thought that was pretty good considering I'll be in Africa from Aug 15- Sept 15!!!
    hodgeman, The best time to go to Africa is in the off season (March/April) its the transition period where it starts cooling down there, The dates you mention above Aug 15th-Sept 15th are prime hunting days to be here in Alaska.

  8. #8
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    hodgeman, The best time to go to Africa is in the off season (March/April) its the transition period where it starts cooling down there, The dates you mention above Aug 15th-Sept 15th are prime hunting days to be here in Alaska.
    I know…. originally went for June for cool weather- outfitter bookings ended up in Aug. So it was either Aug or wait till 2015- since it's an anniversary trip that wouldn't work either. I was pretty agitated about at first but I can hunt something here almost all year.

    Hoping for an early draw like the 40mi youth hunt for the kid or W. Denali Hwy caribou and some late tags for goats and moose. Barring draws I can still head up the Haul Rd or the Brooks early or perhaps head to the sound for some deer.

    I guess the important thing is- if I'm upright..I'll be hunting.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  9. #9
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Heck, I am already reloading for my drawn hunt

    I think 200 rounds will give me about 190 for the three P's, and 10 to take with me- hopefully only bringing nine back


    good luck to all in the draw choices,

    Chris

  10. #10
    Member roughneck6883's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    188

    Default I Can't stand it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    hodgeman, The best time to go to Africa is in the off season (March/April) its the transition period where it starts cooling down there, The dates you mention above Aug 15th-Sept 15th are prime hunting days to be here in Alaska.
    Yeah I wait most of the year for these 2 months



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stvnshnn View Post
    Wow! Brian, you go big. I thought I was doing good with my 8.
    My wife and I max out our choices for moose, sheep, goat, and caribou every year. That alone is now 15 choices with the expansion of moose to 6 applications. Add in a couple bison (both of us) and a couple of brown bear tags (just me), and it's easy to push 20 applications per person. You've got to play to win!

  12. #12
    Member FairbanksFlies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You've got to play to win!
    That's the truth. One will never win if he doesn't play.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I'm expecting the usual strike out except for Caribou....

  14. #14

    Default

    Between the wife and I , we put in for 15 draws, out of all of those I am hoping my wife draws a sheep tag. If I draw nothing and she draws sheep, I'd consider our annual draw a success. Good luck to all of those that out in for them!

  15. #15
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If I draw nothing and she draws sheep, I'd consider our annual draw a success. Good luck to all of those that out in for them!
    I'd have to agree with that. One permit is worth all the ones you didn't draw........at least imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I thought it was just me! We put in for 45 (includes 4 hunt age kids).

  17. #17
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    I took care of the anticipation, at least for next year, by booking a Newfoundland moose and bou hunt for 2015 a few minutes ago! No draw, just lock in tags and bou tags are in short supply on "The Rock " due to herd numbers! Forum member Phil gets a coveted bou tag, myself, son and another friend ea get bull moose tags... That takes some pressure off at least for next year! Got some draw tags in for Maine moosies I hope to hit someday...
    Waiting for some Barnes 225gn STX's to arrive to play with in a ruger 358win - we'll see if they can beat out the hornady 250RN that I already have outstanding results from!
    Good Luck in the draws!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  18. #18
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I took care of the anticipation, at least for next year, by booking a Newfoundland moose and bou hunt for 2015 a few minutes ago! No draw, just lock in tags and bou tags are in short supply on "The Rock " due to herd numbers! Forum member Phil gets a coveted bou tag, myself, son and another friend ea get bull moose tags... That takes some pressure off at least for next year! Got some draw tags in for Maine moosies I hope to hit someday...
    Waiting for some Barnes 225gn STX's to arrive to play with in a ruger 358win - we'll see if they can beat out the hornady 250RN that I already have outstanding results from!
    Good Luck in the draws!
    Smokey, have fun planning this hunt. Don't wish the time away though as fall is the future and now is the living. Just enjoy.

  19. #19
    Member L. G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N'ern S.E. AK
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Heck, I am already reloading for my drawn hunt
    Yep, sounds like me too!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •