Thread: Tolovana river? Anyone hunt it much?

Default Tolovana river? Anyone hunt it much?

Gonna be up in that area for a couple weeks in September. What's it like? Fishing? Navigable by Jon boat? Worth hunting it?

Release Lake Trout

sweeperville from the Elliot to near Minto flats. bring dynamite and a chainsaw and 50-gal gas for it...you'll need it.

One year i dropped in from the road and made it to minto. Took my 7 days, five of which spent bustin sweeper limbs and dragging over trees.

if you did it, go up from below and hunt the ponds and meadows. that's best hunting anyway.

fishing for grayling and pike is great.

Canoe from the upper end is the way to go. I have friends that hunt it every year. Fishing is better at the lower end.

I used to make a trip or two there every year. Fun when you catch a migration of waterfowl moving through. Just make sure to bring lots of shells. It is tough for swamp donkeys, nowhere to get up and spot. Very limited on what you see from the river. Maybe 50 yards vis... gotta catch things moving and be lucky. I enjoyed my trips there. Watch for dropping water levels when it starts freezing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pick A Spot

Which part of the Tolovana? We floated bits of it near Colorado Creek. Tried to use a motor but it was shallow in places and was hitting bottom. Managed to float it a little ways to where the highway swings around near mile 60. Not quite to Livengood. Based on that small section I would be very concerned about sweepers too.

Thanks guys for your input. Seems I may have to seek other possibilities.

Release Lake Trout