Thread: October ducks

Default October ducks

Hi guys,

Just wondering what opinions are for ducks after September.

I pretty much get in moose mode in September, so if I have to hunt the whole season to get one, I won't get put for ducks until October. Is there still good hunting then or is September by far the best month for it?

Thanks.

Depends on the weather. The ducks stay till freeze up. The sea ducks start getting good in october and it stays good till the end of the season.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Depends on the weather. The ducks stay till freeze up. The sea ducks start getting good in october and it stays good till the end of the season.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Agree 100%
    We Duck hunters live by the weather
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Great hunt this fall. November 3rd. The three of us brought home 11. Couple beauty green heads.

If you love it, go any day you can go. September is good but you deal with high pressure from other hunters. October is better IMO. Whether puddle ducks or sea ducks. I just go every day I can regardless... I don't measure it by the amount of ducks I kill. There is a whole list of reasons why I venture into the marsh..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Any day out duck hunting is a good day and it will always beat work like stated above go when you can
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks, guys.

I do try to get out whenever I can, but with full-time daddy duty it is hard to go during the week.

One other thing: is it best at dawn or does it matter? Are evenings just as good?

I am new to duck hunting and while I know dawn is the time most guys go, I can get out in the afternoon/evenings much more often, but I dunno if they are flying and feeding then or if it just mornings that they can be found.

I would say dawn is better but Ive had some great hunts in the evenings also
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

The mornings are usually the best here in Alaska. Evenings are usually cut short due to sunset times verses when the birds will fly to roosting areas. Hence, why you will hear late shooting after hours at times. Mid day hunts can be good and most of our best hunts have come between 10-12noon. With another push around 3-5ish. Depends also on where you are at, what species you are targeting and the weather. So many factors to take into consideration with waterfowling. Just go, take a deep breath, enjoy the sounds and sights of the marsh, the good company if your lucky to share it with a four or two legged friend..

October can be great!
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

haha - the Duck Dynasty pic is funny.

I have been trying to get those guys to come do a show up here for a while, but they don't like cold! LOL

I am from West Monroe and my wife and mom know the family, so I am hoping one day to get them here....but it would be nice if I knew what i was doing first!

October water fowl hunts is the best time but there harder to find. They have fatten up for the migration south and are **** tasty.

This October out on the flats we killed it, mornings were better but we had to really base off the times and days we hunted off the crazy tides they have out there

Out of whitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sea ducks move more depending on the tide IMO so the "best time" to kill them changes. As for puddle ducks, I like the mornings but you will see and kill some in the evenings too.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge