Thread: Ski landing on Carmen Lake

Default Ski landing on Carmen Lake

Has anyone been in to Carmen Lake at the head of the twentymile river? I so what were/are the conditions up there. My goal would be to go in and drill some holes for some ice fishing. Landed on Lake George yesterday it was like a Zambonie had been out there I had to shut down to get stopped... The snow was all melted or blown off. photo (5).jpg

That's a great photo. Makes me curious though. Is smooth ice like smooth water in that depth perception can be a challenge for landing? I'm not a pilot, I've just heard smooth water can be tricky sometimes. Hope the fishing was good...

Scott

Default Ski landing on Carmen Lake

Check your regs. But the lake is above the no fishing sign. I could be wrong.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Check your regs. But the lake is above the no fishing sign. I could be wrong.
    Closed to King Salmon year around. Open for fishing Jan to June from what I read?

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    That's a great photo. Makes me curious though. Is smooth ice like smooth water in that depth perception can be a challenge for landing? I'm not a pilot, I've just heard smooth water can be tricky sometimes. Hope the fishing was good...

Scott
    It had some rough spots and enough other detail it was not a problem just need a lot of roll out room. I did a 180 with one hand on the strut to turn around... can you say slick it was a quick take off with very little friction playing into the ground roll/skate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post

Scott
    Because temperature is always variable you will have stress fractures in ice caused by expansion and contraction. Fractures are easy to see and allow you to judge height.