Thread: Wolverine

Default Wolverine

Well, nothing like a last minute catch! We rode machines in 4 miles but couldn't get down the long switchback horse trail down the mountain and up the drainage due to ice build up so Kara and I hiked the 6 miles round trip to the sets. To show how far down the mountain we were, it took us 1-1/2 hours to get to the sets and 4 HOURs to get back out!

Awesome coloring..

27# female with worn teeth..

Happy camper!

FANTASTIC!!! I was thinking about you guys yesterday and wondering how that set turned out. Screw the football score, I thought, I just want to know if there's a wolverine in that trap. Most excellent! Congratulations!

Thanks Brian. Well you did such a good job teaching my oldest that I am sending you another one next year! Kara's a little less girly and more focussed then Kayla. Probably because your wife was so good to her as well, so you should enjoy her. We actully didn't catch this one at the wolf kill but a mile away and up on a slide. Couldn't believe the kill wasn't hit but thats why they call it trapping and not catching!

Here's what we found when we walked up..

She really twisted up the cable holding the trap. I am guessing because she had one leg out and could get a good spin going. Also was surprised on how much she dug being in a body trap..

Looks like you need a heavier cable on that one. 5/32nd aircraft cable wouldn't be too big! Keep up the good work.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Looks like you need a heavier cable on that one. 5/32nd aircraft cable wouldn't be too big! Keep up the good work.
    WHAT? No fat jokes?? Already getting ready for sheep and goat this year, im coming for ya Mike! Yeah, I usually use my 330's for otter so they already had the cable on them. I didn't figure in that a wolverine could still do that. I am sure I would have still found him if it broke as he was dead and just didn't know it. I just would have had to go down a STEEP gorge to find him..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    WHAT? No fat jokes??
    Kinda hard to tell..........your kneeling behind that huge wolverine............but it does look like you might a slimmed down some!!
    Probably due to raising a couple attractive daughters! I can see why you keep them hidden in the woods. Hey, shouldn't a couple pretty daughters get you some FREE help on the trapline, i.e.................boyfriends? Packers on the hunting trips too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrats Steve that's a sweet catch you got there! I am way jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Congrats Steve that's a sweet catch you got there! I am way jealous.
    Go get them next year Rob! I won't be back in there and if I was to do it again I would have set many more buckets out there earlier in the season. Seen a set of tracks about every other week and then just in the last few weeks they are everywhere. I noticed most traveled in the slides and gorges. I first thought maybe it was just natural travel ways but later was told that wolverine are attracted to slides and shoots because of searching for kills caused by avalanches. Wish there was another 2 weeks of season. Good luck next year!

Alright I was wondering if you got one Been fun watching those girls of yours grow up on the line with you. You going to sell this one or does Kara have plans for it
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

This one has some really nice coloring so we are having it mounted. Doing a corner mount with the wolverine curving around a tree so you can see the dimond and also see the blaze on the other side of the tree. Then I am having a New House trap put on it's leg anchored to the tree. Should be pretty cool..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    This one has some really nice coloring so we are having it mounted. Doing a corner mount with the wolverine curving around a tree so you can see the dimond and also see the blaze on the other side of the tree. Then I am having a New House trap put on it's leg anchored to the tree. Should be pretty cool..
    Bad Donkey Steve! I take it Mike is going to do it? You might want to switch to Belisles and swiveling those suckers if you are taking on those Lake L. wolverines. A 27 pound female is pretty dang big!

Very nice! We just picked up our first Wolverine this week! Pictures to come!

Congrats, that is awesome