Thread: A thread dedicated to just general metal detecting??

Default A thread dedicated to just general metal detecting??

Would there be any interest in a thread dedicated to just coin shooting and relic finds/stories? Not to mention different types of detectors used in these applications? I would've done a poll but couldn't get it to work.

I think it's a great idea. The prospecting forum is in some serious need of attention!

i'm in, I plan on getting my first detector this spring, i will post some photos, hopefully of buried treasure
    "f/64 and be there"

I already own a detector and am not currently planning to buy another.
    It might be Nice if Steve Hershbach would join in. He is a member here and one of if not the best detectorist in state for gold nuggets. I know he has also found a lot of gold rings etc. also.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I believe steve has retired and moved out of state,
    "f/64 and be there"

I'm sure he did. He posts often on another forum I read. Think he's near Reno? But running around detecting the west. I may have seen him say he'd be up here in the summers but don't know. I'm sure if he sees this he would chime in . I bought my first detector from him years ago. He gave me a ton of info then and I read about anything I see him put up since he always has great advice. Nice for someone to do that for people he doesn't know.

Glad to get some support on this. I'm guessing posting here will start to pick up as soon as the thaw hits.

Hi Guys,

Actually, I follow this forum and answer if there is a question I can help with. But unfortunately there simply has been no action here for some time.

Yeah, moved south and loving it. I was out metal detecting today in fact and have lots planned. I will be up June and July prospecting in Alaska. And maybe again in August. But no more hanging my detector up for the winter!! I did not retire, just moved, and am now full time metal detecting and writing.

Anyway, if there is anything I can add I will but I mostly hang out on my own website at detectorprospector.com these days.

Hey Steve,,,, how did you guys do up in Chicken, is your brother still around here, in Alaska.-?
    The German

Did good, will be back this summer. I have one brother still in Alaska and the other now in Phoenix.

I bought a whites MXT about two years ago and did some detecting last year. I always wondered if it was worth detecting the snow dumps, so one day after work and with zero experience I went to one of the dumps sites called the number on the sign and got a hold of the owner. He was not so friendly about me asking but after a while talking to him he agreed as long as I split the finds with him 50/50. well I hope he is o.k. with 5lbs of junk because I found 10! No luck and a bunch of trash so now I know my answer. Any way I would like to do some real detecting this year and I have read the instructions on the detector but it is really difficult to follow the "advanced manual" So if any one has experience with the whites MXT or any others that are around the quality of mine or wants to show me how to use it properly I'll keep an eye on this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_AK View Post
    I bought a whites MXT about two years ago and did some detecting last year. I always wondered if it was worth detecting the snow dumps, so one day after work and with zero experience I went to one of the dumps sites called the number on the sign and got a hold of the owner. He was not so friendly about me asking but after a while talking to him he agreed as long as I split the finds with him 50/50. well I hope he is o.k. with 5lbs of junk because I found 10! No luck and a bunch of trash so now I know my answer. Any way I would like to do some real detecting this year and I have read the instructions on the detector but it is really difficult to follow the "advanced manual" So if any one has experience with the whites MXT or any others that are around the quality of mine or wants to show me how to use it properly I'll keep an eye on this thread....
    The Kenai chapter of the GPAA will hold a metal detecting field day in the back lot of the Kenai Moose Lodge in Kenai on the first Thursday in June at ~7pm.
    They have buried several dollar coins and a bunch of quaters for members to find.
    I would be there but I will be on the slope working.
    We do have some members who are very good with metal detectors but depending on who shows up will determine the level of experience that will be there to help people learn more about metal detectors.
    I hope this is helpful to some of you. Wish I could be there.

For those who are interested in Metal detecting this is something I found that may interest you.
    It is a Metal detector hunt at the State fairgrounds in Plamer June 14-15 2014.
    I am not affiliated with this grouop in any way just passing this along. Here is a link to the details:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/4468119246.html