Thread: Spotting scope covers?

Default Spotting scope covers?

I am looking at getting a cover for my leica apo 82. Has anyone ever used the ever ready case or the kite skua cover. Thanks tekla

Tekla, the ever-ready covers are great looking covers, but if they are like the older 62/77mm televid styles they are more sizzle than steak. The older ones I have had just don't seem like practical covers for rigorous use. The strap design is useless and the two piece construction is a pain to install.
    I used a Zeiss 65mm diascope cover on my last 62mm televid and it was far more practical and it could stay on with use.

I've always liked the skua covers a bit better than the Leica brand, but they aren't readily available in the U.S.

You have a very nice and expensive spotter there, but consider just a cheaper scope-coat or snug-fit style neoprene cover. You'll be (many) dollars ahead and still have practical, lightweight, but excellent protection.
    Proud to be an American!

Thanks fullkurl. I just checked out scope-coat and will give them a call in the morning. I was just looking for something to keep the scope from getting banged up in the backpack. I want something tight to the scope and easy on off for viewing. Looks like scope coat might be what I am looking for.

I have a Kite cover for my new ATX 95mm,, I chose it over the swaro cover not becuase of price, but because of the way it is made. I'm very happy with it and it protect the scope and is easy to use installed.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Thanks fullkurl. I just checked out scope-coat and will give them a call in the morning. I was just looking for something to keep the scope from getting banged up in the backpack. I want something tight to the scope and easy on off for viewing. Looks like scope coat might be what I am looking for.
    My pleasure, if scope-coat doesn't offer the 82mm, look at the snug fit. For $50, you can get some nice covers. I'm picking up a king's camo for my sts hd swaro for about $50, but they don't offer one for the Leica big eye...
    Let us know what you find.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have a Kite cover for my new ATX 95mm,, I chose it over the swaro cover not becuase of price, but because of the way it is made. I'm very happy with it and it protect the scope and is easy to use installed.

Stid, The Kite covers look like a nice option do you happen to know what they weigh and where to buy? Unfortunately, I already purchase the Swaro stay on cases when I purchased my ATX (over a year ago) they are very nice but too much in the mountains I used a heavy duty sock last year in the sheep mountains but the Kite looks functional and lighter. That 95 must be awesome to look through!

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Stid, The Kite covers look like a nice option do you happen to know what they weigh and where to buy? Unfortunately, I already purchase the Swaro stay on cases when I purchased my ATX (over a year ago) they are very nice but too much in the mountains I used a heavy duty sock last year in the sheep mountains but the Kite looks functional and lighter. That 95 must be awesome to look through!
    I believe 10 OZs, I don't have a scale handy but will soon.

Can be bought here.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scope-accessories
    Founding Member

I believe 10 OZs, I don't have a scale handy but will soon.

Can be bought here.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scope-accessories
    Perfect much appreciated! Thanks Greg

Looking at the pic, Do you always have to peel the cover forward to use the variable adjustment? just wondering because the new swaro covers for the ATX/STX have it where you dont have to do that... just seems like it can be a hassle at times.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Looking at the pic, Do you always have to peel the cover forward to use the variable adjustment? just wondering because the new swaro covers for the ATX/STX have it where you dont have to do that... just seems like it can be a hassle at times.
    You can leave it Velcro-ed forward or move it back. I find it much easier than unsnapping the swaro case on the front and removing the one for the eyepiece. I never liked that with the factory swaro case and I find neoprene more protective as well. I could have bought either and chose this one over the factory after using one for a year.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Got a chance to weigh it... The eye part is inside the larger piece to keep it on the scale.

7.5 OZs with the 2 steel rings removed 8 OZs with them. I removed them because I would not used the heavy strap that came with it. I can tie some para cord on it if I want to carry it over my shoulder or use my rifle sling.

Founding Member

Got a chance to weigh it... The eye part is inside the larger piece to keep it on the scale.

7.5 OZs with the 2 steel rings removed 8 OZs with them. I removed them because I would not used the heavy strap that came with it. I can tie some para cord on it if I want to carry it over my shoulder or use my rifle sling.

Thanks, just for reference the Swaro stay-on case for the 65mm is 5.4 oz so probably similar weight when scales up to the 95 so sounds like it comes down to a gain in functionality... Thanks again for checking, much appreciated. Greg

I went with the kite model also. Fits perfectly on he leica apo 82. After stretching it on I think it is exactly what I wanted. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392221638.969647.jpg

Looks good Tek!
    Proud to be an American!

Thanks full kurl. I looked at the scope coat but the 82 mm didn't come with end cap covers and the weight was the same as the kite. I did order one for my other vortex scope though and just waiting for it to arrive.