Thread: hub to fit ATV tire

Default hub to fit ATV tire

Planning to build a meat wagon. Can I buy after market wheel hubs so I can use ATV wheels?

Short answer is not unless you want a solid axle all the way across. I have looked on multiple occasions and haven't been able to find anything that will work on a spindle type axle without modification to either the rim or the hub.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I also thought about using ATV tires and hubs on my trailer and you got me curious. I looked at my Polaris 6X6 and the rear tires rims are 10x 8.5 AT, KMM 4M2559. I also have a couple of old hub's, all it would take is drill and tap four new holes in the hub's. My suggestion is find the rims you need take measurement and find a hub that will work even if you have to modify it.

Most trailer supply houses have the right rims for your tires. Most people use the standard 4 bolt hub. Get your tires put on their rims. Run a 2 inch ball. If everyone would use the same sizes it would make rescues a lot easier.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I have also looked into this. It would be nice to be able to carry a spare that would fit either the ATV or trailer, one for all. what i have come across is that most trailer hubs have a large protrusion from the center for the axle seals and bearings that a atv wheel won't fit over since most atv wheels require a smaller center hole. If you are unsure what bolt pattern you have or need, here is a site that may help:
    http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart

due to the unavailability of something that will work for me, i just went with these:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_18867_18867
    they will fit any standard trailer hub that is 4 on 4 bolt pattern and replacement parts for those hubs are everywhere!

There was a guy from Fairbanks or maybe Eagle River that was selling a 4 bolt hub that went over the existing hub. I lost the number but I think I found him on Craig's List in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Short answer is not unless you want a solid axle all the way across. I have looked on multiple occasions and haven't been able to find anything that will work on a spindle type axle without modification to either the rim or the hub.
    from my research you are for sure correct... it sucks there is no atv/hub/trailer combo that will all work together.

so I spent lots of time looking for solutions. And I found one. Some may think its a hokey pokey solution but its worked so far. I have Yamahas so I took four Yamaha tires/wheels/take offs and drilled holes next to the stock holes so that the wheel fit on the 4 lug six roblee hub. Now, at first I didn't know what to expect. But a year later and at least 400 miles, 3 cords of wood, everything is still just fine. If you send me your # I can txt some pics of how I did it. Or look through my posts you should see the build.

Wouldn't it be better to drill the hubs to match the wheels? That way you'd have the original reinforced factory holes in the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yes it would have been better. I didn't have the drill bits to get through the flange of the hub.