Thread: Swirl on windshield removal

Default Swirl on windshield removal

Somebody in the past managed to get a bunch of circular scratches all over my windshield. They are not very deep but when the sun hits the windshield at certain angles I cannot see a thing...

I have heard there are a few methods for polishing a windshield.

I tried hand polishing ( up and down only) with light buffing compound but no dice...

Suggestions.....???? Do those mirco-mesh kits work???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't know if this stuff is any good or not, but might be worth doing a google search on reviews or complaints:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8416

Developed by an A&P Engineer with Multi Engine/Commercial/Instrument privileges, Scratch Off has been manufactured here in the US since 1993 and remains the leading Plexiglass and Lexan restoration system worldwide by nearly selling 17,000 kits and is guaranteed, when used as directed, to permanently improve the clarity of ALL aircraft windows and windshields in Light Sport, Experimental and Certified aircraft.
    Ranked #1 Glass Scratch Remover by the Aviation Consumer magazine!
    Scratch-Off is being used worldwide and highly recommended by airframers, aircraft window/windshield manufactures and enthusiasts alike to restore optical clarity back to aircraft windshields and windows. The 8 panel instruction booklet walks you through a step by step process on how to determine where to start the process as all four steps are not always needed. There is enough material in the kit to easily restore most 4 and 6 place aircraft.

When I had extra time, I would try to polish up the plexiglass on our UH-60's, but it took some work.

Best method I found was using several coaresness levels of Meguires plastic polish. The coarsest grit needed is determined by the depth of the scratches. The coarsest I ever used was #10.

It takes ALOT of elbow grease, and as you already know, only apply and remove in vertical swipes.

As a final application, I used pledge.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My personal opinion from using it? I don't like Micro Mesh. For an airplane windshield and side windows I'll never use an electric buffer, either. I use Novus 3 part polish for doing touch-ups that I'm capable of. It does a good job and limits my chances of doing irreparable damage. I buy microfiber cloths by the bale at the warehouse store. They work well for lots of tasks, including this one. http://www.novuspolish.com/

Pick a cool day, start with a squeaky clean window, use consistent pressure, and change the rags often. Try to not make the problem worse. Changing a Cessna windshield is not cheap, easy, or fun.

I ordered the Novus 3 part kit.... We will see...

Novus works. Used it on the lexan on my old drag car and the results were nothing short of Amazing.

micro mesh take too long but will work. Its cheaper for me to replace the windscreen after the amount of time it takes. I have that scratch off kit and I did my scout windshield in about an hour. I even tried it after 800 grit wet sand. I would say it would be best to wet sand several stages to maybe 1500 or so if it needs sanding. but the kit will take care of 90 percent of it. I have gotten decent with a buffer and foam pads with ultra fine compound used to detail auto paint. I can do my scout in 20-30 mins and its 85 percent there. good enough for me!

Well the NOVUS 3 part stuff showed up in the mail..
    It is only 5 degrees outside and I was kicked out of the hangar.. So I have not tried it on the windshield.

BUT,,,,, I did use it to lap out a rough spot inside an M-1A rifle's gas cylinder and piston.....It worked great....

So, any pireps on the Novus kit? I kind of screwed up when I left for work for a month and left my new windscreen cover on😒 Nothing bad, but I will need to do some serious polishing.

It worked just fine. It has three grit courses..... I made my windshield MUCH better. In fact the medium and fine grits works for most of the problems.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot. Mine isn't as bad as I first thought, but it's still irritating.