Thread: Bow hunting certification field day - elevation?

Default Bow hunting certification field day - elevation?

I'm looking for a bit of information. I know that the layout for each site's practical exam will vary a bit, but what kind of elevation will they likely be shooting from for the 'tree stand' shot?

My back deck is only 6 feet off the ground. Should I find somewhere higher to practice?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I'm looking for a bit of information. I know that the layout for each site's practical exam will vary a bit, but what kind of elevation will they likely be shooting from for the 'tree stand' shot?

My back deck is only 6 feet off the ground. Should I find somewhere higher to practice?
    I can't recall exactly with my test, but I don't remember it being anything higher than maybe 10 feet max. I wouldn't worry too much about shooting from higher than your deck unless you are planning to hunt from tree stands with your bow in which case you will likely want to do more realistic practice. At the time I took the test, I had never shot from any kind of elevated position, but employed the basic concepts and it worked out fine. I have no intention of shooting from such a position, so don't have the need to go out of my way to find a way to practice it. If I do see a hunt where I might use a tree stand type setup, then I will have to work out some plan for practice.

I took mine at rabbit creek and it was really easy. Maybe 6' platform and most were 10-15 yds. The longest was maybe 20yds. If you feel confident to kill a deer sized animal at 20yds you will be fine.
    I don't know if it is closed or if you can go "look" but it is far right when you pull in. Maybe ask and see it ahead of time.

Same as platform at Rabbit Creek, except that your deck probably has more room to move about. If you wanted to see their setup you could likely just ask the rangemaster or office to point out the path that the bowhunters go down for their test; it'll be just about due North from the parking lot. There is normally no live fire back there; but again the rangemaster/office would know for sure about the day you're there - if its busy or not.

Thanks guys. Sounds like my deck will work fine for prepping for the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thanks guys. Sounds like my deck will work fine for prepping for the test.
    Rod, I've read your posts on here long enough to know that you're going to over prepare for that test and you'll do just great when it is held. Post up here after the fact - tell me if I'm wrong.

When I took my test, the elevated shot was literally ten feet. If you have a compound bow and a cheap range finder, there is no reason to worry. Seriously. Longest shot was 35 yards if I remember correctly. Plus, the instructors were some of the nicer guys around. There was a father/son group, and the boy was having issues hitting the kill spot. The instructor was there to teach, not fail everyone. He worked through the boys body mechanics, and also explained where his arrows were hitting were "technically" a kill shot. It was awesome. Real classy experience.

Range finder is handy! The range finders that calculate elevation for you are even handier. Either way, I have seen plenty of students complete the course successfully without range finders. I do recommend them since they are a handy piece of gear on the slope and help take more humane kills/support responsible, ethical hunting.

Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Rod, I've read your posts on here long enough to know that you're going to over prepare for that test and you'll do just great when it is held. Post up here after the fact - tell me if I'm wrong.
    You weren't wrong.

I was a little nervous going in, but I was still confident in my abilities based on my preparation. Ended up connecting on every shot. I did have one almost get away from me - which, incidentally, happened to be from the elevated platform.

Anyways... I'm now a fully papered bow hunter.

Good for your rod and as an IBEP instructor I want to say congratulations on your achievement. Hope to hear some good stories come fall time.