Thread: Camo patterns

Default Camo patterns

Does anyone believe there's a need for a new waterfowling camo pattern? If so, what do you think works or doesn't work? Do you think the camo should be contrast and confuse or photorealism. What do you like and dislike? Realtree, Mossy Oak, Optifade?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I just find a pattern that blends in with the area I'm hunting. The three I've found that work best in AK are Max-4, KW-1, and Duck Blind. Mossy Oak just released their new Shadow Grass Blades pattern that looks really good, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet (too new I guess). Personally I like 3D camo. I wear a ghillie suit top while I hunt in the reeds. I've had birds try to land next to me as I was out in the decoy spread with it on. In an area where you can't really build a blind, it works wonders.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Did you make the gille or buy it

bought it from cabelas
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I know concealment is important but...... I've been hunting numerous times with just the camo I have (not a waterfowl pattern) and killed plenty of birds. I think being hidden in the reeds does much more for me than my camo. If I was hunting an open field that may be a different story. So a new fancy pattern probably wouldn't do much for me.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The best I've found lately is a company/pattern called "made to deceive" a lot like the old shadow grass pattern...works good up here...

in allot of the deltas and marshes up here, what has worked for many of us is the KW1 and Blades, and Shawdow grass in that order. Last year I know a few that bought the KW1 and they disappeared in the marsh grass. Even early it blends in great. Not many use blinds. They mostly hunt from boats where I hunt and the others just tuck down in the weeds on marsh seats or get on a muskrat mound.

The other pattererns, Sitka, MAX4 etc tend to be a little dark. All that said, the biggest thing to remember is keep the face covered or wait until the last min to expose yourself. Birds are looking down into your boat, blind etc. so keep it simple and stay still, keep yourself and buddies with less experience motionless while birds are working. Have one person do the observing, giving clock position and distance of birds working to alleviate 2-4 bright faces, glasses etc watching birds.

This is just a start to a long list of things that need to be adhered to in pursuit of waterfowl...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.