Thread: Static Cling?

Default Static Cling?

First off, I am relatively new to reloading. I have been around it most of my life, but just started doing myself last month. My kids got me an RCBS reloading set for my birthday.

My first question is this? When I weigh a powder charge in my cheep little scale, I get powder that clings to the pan and to the funnel when I drop it into the case. I usually tap them with my finger to drop as much of it as possible, but there is always a little bit left that I can't get to fall. Short of a grounded mat on the bench, how can I get rid of the static buildup?

Second question? Since the load in the case is now less than what I measured, do you compensate for the loss? Should I add an extra .1 or .2 gr to make up for the static cling?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Just rub down the pan and funnel periodically with one of those anti-static sheets for clothes driers. Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Just rub down the pan and funnel periodically with one of those anti-static sheets for clothes driers. Magic.
    +1, I keep a dryer sheet in my powder dispenser. Same sheet has been in there for years and the one I used had already been used for clothes.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yep. Thats the trick. And no don't free lance. You calculate and measure make your equipment deliver the accuracy its designed to do. The static cling will effect both the powder measure plastic top and the plastic scale pan. Wipe both down before you fill the measure with powder. Also washing with liquid dish soap will work too, just be sure to dry it well.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Great info, thanks, I've had the same question myself, particularly when using gmail charges of flake powder (2.6 grains of bullseye and half sticks to the pan!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with the plastic measuring pan that comes with the scale, I basically got rid of the plastic and bought the brass aluminum pan, and now looking for a non-plastic funnel. but until then the same that others mentioned above with static sheet.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate all of the advise.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

If you use the anti-static sheets, treat it like a wax job on a car. Rub the sheet on and you should see a cloudy finish. Then, use a separate paper towel or something to "buff" that finish off. The anti-static will still be there, plus the surface will feel super slick. Your powder should literally slide around and right out of the pan and the funnel. You may have to reapply it, so keep the sheet handy. You can tell when the powder seems to be less slippery in the pan.