Thread: 33 winchester

Default 33 winchester

can a 33 win. be loaded to 338-06 ballistics? and if so. do you think that a marlin co-pilot could handle it?

I don't think so, I think 338-06 has more capacity so will always win in like guns. Then you canít run as much pressure in a Marlin action as a bolt action so the margin grows quite a bit there. 338-06 in a bolt action isnít far at all behind a 338wm, not a performance level your going to get with a Marlin 336/1895 lever action . . . A more modern lever design like Browning BLR, Savage 99, Win 95, Win 88 can get there though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by smack.458 View Post
    can a 33 win. be loaded to 338-06 ballistics? and if so. do you think that a marlin co-pilot could handle it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I don't think so, I think 338-06 has more capacity so will always win in like guns. Then you canít run as much pressure in a Marlin action as a bolt action so the margin grows quite a bit there. 338-06 in a bolt action isnít far at all behind a 338wm, not a performance level your going to get with a Marlin 336/1895 lever action . . . A more modern lever design like Browning BLR, Savage 99, Win 95, Win 88 can get there though.
    I'm betting you'd be way ahead having a BLR takedown in 30/06 rebored (can't be sure there'd be enough meat to rebore) or rebarreled for 338/06.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I think it would be cool to have a two barrel co-pilot type rifle one in 457WWM and the other in something like the 33Win. Does anyone know if the 33Win can be improved or is there a better 45/70 based round out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I don't think so....
    That's my instinct too. I shot a 33 Winnie for years, and with the available case capacity, I think you'd have to send pressures through the roof. Great round, even in the original loadings without horking it up.