Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera Question

Default New Camera Question

Hello, This is my first post, I've been visiting this forum for some time now and have enjoyed the pictures. The wife and I are moving from Michigan to Soldotna Alaska in about 30 days. We have a Olympus C-4000, 4.0 with 3X zoom. We want to upgrade to something with better zoom and higher megapixel. We hope to take wildlife photos. We are looking for suggestions on cameras. Keep in mind we are not professionals just looking to have a better chance at taking professional looking pictures.
    Thanks.

Default New Camera Question

Probably the best choice would be the Olympus SP550. It has an 18x zoom from 28-520. At 7.1 mega pixels the picture quality is great. It is very quick and has no noticable delay. It has a bright 2.5" screen as well as a viewfinder.
    If there is anything I can help you with let me know
    Joel Paymer
    Camera Land
    212-753-5128
    www.cameralandny.com

I am sure the Oly is good BUT if you want professional looking photos try a Canon Rebel XT 8 mp buy it with a Tamron 18-200 lense and you will get the results you want. I know several pro's that use this combination as backup and for backpacking. Buy it on line in the same price range as the Oly.
    I shoot a canon eos20d but do have the refered to lense for hiking.

Default second vote for the Rebel XT

I have the rebel Xt and it takes great pictures. Its not a high end camera, but it is a great one. The price on one right now is good. I use a 70-200 canon lens and the combo is great. I think its a great starter camera. Thats just my .02.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

I would choose either a Canon or Nikon because as you expand your camera gear either of these two companies offer the accessories that you may need down the line.
    Tennessee

If you buy into their DSLR lines, Pentax, Sony, and even Olympus have plenty of lenses and accessories to keep most people happy. If a person wanted to become a professional this could be an issue, but I don't think this applies here. That said, I am a Canon user. I just don't think it's the only good system for a user wanting a long lens.

Assuming the original poster is not interested in buying into a DSLR system, the Oly SP550 sounds like it might be a good choice. I haven't looked at it.

Any time someone wants a long range zoom on a small camera, I always tell them to make sure it has optical image stabilization built into the lens, or sensor. Don't accept digital stabilization any more than you would accept digital zoom. Both are a sham. Until they can actually create a digital stabilization system that really works, just avoid cameras that have it. Mostly this is just an automatic increase in the sensitivity of the sensor, and subsequent noise reduction. You end up with a less than sharp image when ever you use it. But optical Image stabilization is very important on long lenses. If you don't have it, you will be forced to use a tripod any time you want sharp images at the long end of the zoom range.

Just about all Panasonics have IS, and Canon's S3/S5 IS does too. Not sure about the Oly mentioned above.

If you buy a DSLR DON'T buy cheap glass, its a waste of money get a 70-200 F4 and a 1.4x tc for your first lens beyond the kit, there are also some very good mega zooms out there for around $1000 the canon 100-400 F5.6 and the sigma 50-500 F 6.3 come to mind
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Camera

Thanks for the replies, I am checking out both Cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by markbevans View Post
    Hello, This is my first post, I've been visiting this forum for some time now and have enjoyed the pictures. The wife and I are moving from Michigan to Soldotna Alaska in about 30 days. We have a Olympus C-4000, 4.0 with 3X zoom. We want to upgrade to something with better zoom and higher megapixel. We hope to take wildlife photos. We are looking for suggestions on cameras. Keep in mind we are not professionals just looking to have a better chance at taking professional looking pictures.
    Thanks.
    Welcome to our forums!!
    If you are interested, post in Introductions! We would love to hear more about you!

The Canon S3IS if you can find it is only about $250 to $300. I think it has a 12X zoom which is about 39-432 zoom equivalent in 35 MM. The S5IS is newer, but around $400. Both are excellent cameras and sized about in between the point and shoot and DSLR size. The flash is the only drawback as is on all P & S models.

JIm, what is your take on the cannon D40 SLR?

Looking to buy a good camera?

Nikon D40 is probably as good as any camera in DSLR entry level class. The D40X is a slightly improved, and adds more pixels (10mp instead of 6mp), so the image is slightly better for large prints. But mechanically, the D40 is a nice camera, and most people take to the feel of it right away, unless they have been using a different brand for a while. Then there are things to unlearn first. Some people complain about the Canon XT & XTi's small grip, while the Nikon D40 feels quite nice to almost everyone.

Olympia's new 510, and the Pentax K10D both have real mechanical image stabilization built in. That is a very useful feature, and in my mind it is worth enough to make them more useful than the Nikon or Canon equivilents. You can get the same stabilization feature in Canon & Nikon if you buy their VR or IS lenses, but you will pay more for them.

Canon XT & XTi have the best high ISO noise of the bunch, so shots of the northern lights, and other dim situations may have a slightly smoother & sharper look to them. The D40 & D40X is not far behind though.

There are reviews of all the above at http://www.dpreview.com

"Olympia's new 510" should read "Olympus' new E-510"

Just trying to be pedantic.

Ha! I just re-read your question. You're asking about the Canon 40D, not the Nikon D40. Confusing isn't it. Canon even made a D30, and a 30D, so it's not like they're helping any.

Okay, I got a 40D. It's a *great* camera. It's improved over the 20D/30D in many ways, and they were very good cameras to begin with. The 40D has slightly improved both image quality, and high ISO noise capability. But I think the best thing about it is faster and more reliable autofocus accuracy. In the past, when Canon would introduce a new model, they would always claim that AF was improved to some degree, but it wasn't always noticeable. This time they really did it. It's quite nice, and there are cross sensors at every point.

Otherwise the camera is faster in just about every measurement, with a larger high speed shooting buffer as well, and now you can adjust the shooting speed from 3fps to 6.5fps. It has a better grip, is more solid, and just feels nicer to shoot with. The view screen is noticeably brighter and larger, and the LCD is a vast improvement over the 20D. It's not only larger, but is viewable in sunlight, where the 20D was not. The menus are laid out better, and now includes a personal short-list of menu functions and controls that are quick & easy to get to. So the 6 things you change most, are right at the push of a button. The Info button pops up shooting data on the big screen, so when shooting on a tripod, you don't have to tip the camera over to see what your settings are. The ISO is in the viewfinder, and keeps you from making big mistakes when you're in a hurry. And there is the Live View feature that is really nice when shooting macro, or any time it's on a tripod. There is some improved weather sealing in some places, but I wouldn't count on them in a moderate rain.

So many things have been improved, some small and some major, but the bottom line is, they all combine to make the Canon 40D a far better camera to work with.

Nikon's D300 is due to ship any day now, and hopefully will give the 40D a real run for it's money. It's priced and spec'd higher, but generally considered to be in the same category. Ain't competition grand?

Jim thanks a lot. You have been of great help, for some reason I got my mind set in the canon D40. You know where I can find the best price in one of this cannon.

Thanks.

I'd check with Doug @ cameralandny.com - Gotten most of my stuff from him and hes a good guy to deal with!

Thanks one lung I have dealt with dough before he is a heck of a guy. I check the web site and I didn't see that particular camera. I have to give him a shout and see.

Have any of you ever dealt with this site. http://www.lensesnmore.com?

any feed back?

First I've heard of it.

Doug carries a bunch of stuff that he doesnt have time to get on his website....Give him a call, he'll hook you up

I'd be really weary about buying from Lenesnmore.com

Some of those places that sell stuff for considerbly cheaper than other stores will give you a run around....So use caution..

Always check out http://www.resellerratings.com for stores you've never heard of. This is a new one, and only has one consumer response. It's not really from a buyer, but perhaps you should read it. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Lenses_N_More

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast