Thread: Gibbs

Default Gibbs

Has anyone ever owned or shot the GIbbs Carbine in 45-70?How was it?Stout kicker,any functioning problems?I think it was intriduced a few years back,and,ive always liked 45-70 so it caught my interest.Can it handle fullpower reloads?Thanks.

Arrow Gibbs is a cheap rifle that shoots cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1
    Has anyone ever owned or shot the GIbbs Carbine in 45-70?How was it?Stout kicker,any functioning problems?I think it was intriduced a few years back,and,ive always liked 45-70 so it caught my interest.Can it handle fullpower reloads?Thanks.
    I was given the chance to shoot one down in WA two years ago. I had been looking at buying one for some time, but had a gut feeling about not buying it sight unseen.

Anyway, this guy had one at the range, I got talking to him and he let me try it out. He just had bought it and did not scope it at that time.

It's a british Enfield converted to a short barrel brush gun and it has a nice heavy Navy Arms barrel on it and could take any load you put in it. By looks and the way it was machined,for a cheap 45-70 express point and shoot weapon, yes it does work and has a smooth action.

I didn't like it because of the sight on it. Of course that can be changed out.
    It kicked unusually hard for a 45-70. My Marlin 1895, winchester 1886, and the Uberti Winchester 1876 rifles I have in 45-70 kick, but not sharp like the Gibbs.

I would advise to look at a used Marlin 1895 as your lookin at the same money, but for a beater gun, it would be great, don't expect much out of it; bottom line is I passed on it. Save your money on a better rifle...
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great