Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crippled Candy Jig?

Default The Crippled Candy Jig?

Not sure what to call it but being I have a Cook Inlet Candy jig and a Kachemak Candy jig so I figured I might stick with the Candy theme.
    Anyway this jig is kind of similar to a Crippled herring but it is better as it has some built in curve on the one side.
    That way it will wobble on the way up and flutter on the way down.
    I think this jig is really going to slay the fish this summer. The molds for this just came in so they have yet to be tested by anyone.
    I made sure and got all the popular sizes for this one. It will be made in 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,12,16,20 and 24oz sizes. That should cover the sizes we need up here in a saltwater jig.
    This pic is of a plain white jig but I will be making these in all kinds of powder painted colors including 2 tone and even three colors on one jig with my additional powder paint airbrush I just got.
    I figured I would cast a few while waiting for the state to send me my New Business license. They messed up the first one so now I have to wait for the corrected one. Then I can apply for the federal and borough tax stuff.
    Not the best pics but I will get some better ones later.These happen to be 4oz and a 6 oz jig.
    Let me know what you think of this one good or bad.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They look really nice. I'll order some as soon as they are available.

Could you put a ruler in some of the pictures?

Thanks,

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    They look really nice. I'll order some as soon as they are available.

Could you put a ruler in some of the pictures?

Thanks,

Big_E
    Yeah I'll get some more sizes cast next week and post some pics with a ruler in them.
    I guess I should have thought of that.
    I only cast a few in the 4 and 6 oz as I was busy with some other stuff.
    I'll have more time after I get back from los Anchorage Monday night.
    I also need to get working on my master set.
    One of everything in every size.
    With over 100 molds in my workshop and some of them having up to 7 cavities that
    will take a bit to accomplish.

Good looking jigs, heavier in the head than a crippled herring...will you rig them with a stinger on front? Your paint appears to be thicker than CH paint, hopefully more durable. CH are fairly bendable and I usually put a bend in them similar to what you have, but it seems to work back to straight over time...are your jigs more or less bendable than the CH? Looking forward to buying some, rarely use over 10oz in PWS, so the 4-10oz range is ideal for me. White and green always seem to produce the best but those airbrushed triple colors will be mighty purdy to behold

Very nice looking jigs Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Good looking jigs, heavier in the head than a crippled herring...will you rig them with a stinger on front? Your paint appears to be thicker than CH paint, hopefully more durable. CH are fairly bendable and I usually put a bend in them similar to what you have, but it seems to work back to straight over time...are your jigs more or less bendable than the CH? Looking forward to buying some, rarely use over 10oz in PWS, so the 4-10oz range is ideal for me. White and green always seem to produce the best but those airbrushed triple colors will be mighty purdy to behold
    They will be a bit less bendable than a CH jig. My alloy is a bit harder than theirs as it is a mix of Wheel weights and pure lead though that may change as I mainly use scrap and it varies depending on what I have on hand. Using scrap keeps the price down a bit.
    Of course the bigger jigs being longer will most likely be a bit easier to bend as there is more to grip to facilitate the bending.
    I really don't think they will require bending with the natural curve to the jig.
    The paint is certainly better quality as I only use properly cured powder paint. I use powder paint clear coats over the jigs as well. Generally UV blast clear. These are made to take a beating in the rocks and still hold up and look/work good.
    They will be rigged with assist hooks on the head end but can be rigged otherwise if requested.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Yes! thanks for posting, i will get some!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Those look great, Chris. Planning on doing any in chrome? I like shiny things!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Very cool Chris...no doubt they will be popular!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Those look great, Chris. Planning on doing any in chrome? I like shiny things!
    I do have a pound or two of chrome powder paint.
    While not a true chrome it is shiny and like most powder paints very durable.
    And before anyone asks I have no intention of sending any jigs off for plating.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I do have a pound or two of chrome powder paint.
    While not a true chrome it is shiny and like most powder paints very durable.
    And before anyone asks I have no intention of sending any jigs off for plating.
    Excellent! I know a guy that could put a few of those to good use.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Here is my favorite color crippled herring

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Here is my favorite color crippled herring
    I can easily do that color.
    A dip in superglow white. Then spray on the chartreuse with the powder paint airbrush.
    Then a dip in the UV blast clear.
    Hang to cool.
    Clean the eyes off then in the oven at 350* to cure out the paint.
    Then I epoxy on the 3d eyes and hang to let the epoxy cure.
    Maybe I'll make you a sample on Tuesday and post a pic.

Awesome job! I have been following your threads and you have great imagination with colors and design.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    Awesome job! I have been following your threads and you have great imagination with colors and design.
    Thanks! But I have to admit the designs for all but the Cook Inlet candy jig are not mine.
    They are designs the mold maker has listed.
    Most likely other anglers designs he has made for them. Designs they did not pay extra for to have exclusivity rights to them. Or designs he made himself.
    The CIC jig was loosely based on my ideas and tweaked by a mold maker in a computer CAD program. I approved it and he fed the CAD into his CNC machine to cut it.
    But either way they are not stock molds.
    You order them and then they are cut and finished then shipped to you.
    The paint and skirts are my ideas though. At least as far as colors and patterns go.
    The mold maker gives them generic names though. So I feel the need to rename them. Names like fish jig 3 and fish jig 4 just don't cut it.
    The one mold maker has had to work with the CAD software to make the bigger sizes for me. I guess those in the lesser 48 just don't need 20+oz jigs.

Chris
    no need to make a sample. I was just showing my favorite color in hopes others would chime in so you get an idea as to what would sell. I still have a bunch of the jigs you made me last year. They are great jigs I just wish my paint turned out as well as yours but they sure do catch fish!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Chris
    no need to make a sample. I was just showing my favorite color in hopes others would chime in so you get an idea as to what would sell. I still have a bunch of the jigs you made me last year. They are great jigs I just wish my paint turned out as well as yours but they sure do catch fish!
    We'll if it is a fish catching color I suppose I need one in my own tackle box.
    Since I need to cast a few anyway.....

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Chris
    Its far and away my favorite. There was an older guy that was putting in his boat when we were taking out. He was a USMC veteran and was asking about how we were doing and what not. He saw the jig on the rod I was using. I told him that was the killer jig. He wanted to know where to buy them at. I thanked him for his service and I gave him the jig I was using. It was a 12 or 14oz jig if memory serves. He lit up like a kid at Christmas. We gave him some numbers to fish as well. About a week later we saw him at the fish cleaning tables by the fishing lagoon. He sure carried on about that jig and the numbers we gave him. He said it was his favorite bait. It felt great to do some thing nice for a guy who served his country. Turns out he was a Korean war vet.

Nice story, it's amazing how helping someone fishing can really cheer them up.

My favorite color combos are green/white, green/silver, blue/white and blue/silver.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

So I got a few jigs cast in each size. They are not quite finished yet.
    My wife had a friend over with her 2 boys Shade decided to help put eyes in some jigs. He also decided the one needed some bling and I let him add the red eyes and lightening bolts.
    This first pic is all 11 sizes lined up.

This is the 24 and 20 oz

This is the 12 and 16 oz

This is the 8 and 10 oz

this is the 4 and 6 oz.

this is the 1,2,and 3oz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast