Thread: ATV's on Nancy Lake SRA trails?

Default ATV's on Nancy Lake SRA trails?

Just curious if ATV's are permitted on trails in Nancy lake area. Trying to get out to lynx lake for a weekend. And I don't want to tear stuff up or be illegal. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that they are based on the information on this page: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/nancylk/nancywin.htm The main Nancy Lake page here indicates that there may be restrictions based on whether there is sufficient snow cover to protect the vegetation: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/nancylk/nancylk.htm

Here is the trail status as of 1/30/14. Looks like everything is open except for the ski-only trails. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/nancylakesnow.pdf

You'd have to look through the State Park regs to see if ATV's are OK or not. If they are, right now is one of those times where I don't think you could do any damage to a snowmachine trail if you tried. Normally I'm against ATV on snowmachine trails, but everything is hard as a rock and an ATV is probably the better mode of transportation right now.

Yeah I red through those websites earlier. They don't really identify ATV's in there at all. Going to have to wait to call the park service next week. I know with this weather going cold now everything will be frozen like a rock on the trails. Thanks.

I do not want to 'stir up a hornets nest' but I would not be the one tearing up a snow machine trail on an ATV! I have ATV's, side by sides and snow machines. For me I will not ride any of my tire vehicles on a trail that is basically a snow machine trail, but that is just me!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I do not want to 'stir up a hornets nest' but I would not be the one tearing up a snow machine trail on an ATV! I have ATV's, side by sides and snow machines. For me I will not ride any of my tire vehicles on a trail that is basically a snow machine trail, but that is just me!
    Me too!

Well that's why I'm on here asking around. You guys been riding the nancy lake area at all. Are the trails good for sleds or no?

Trails are rock hard its been cold.
    BK

Sorry, I was thinking ATV = Snowmachine. Just automatically think winter and my mind just inputs snowmachine when thinking of a motorized vehicle.

Is there even any snow to be ruined out there?

sent from my igloo

A while back, when we had snow on the ground, the snow machine trails around here were starting to get good. Then we had the temps warm up and someone went out with a wheeled ATV and messed them up. Before the trails were good for snow machines, cross country skiing and dog mushing. Once the wheeled ATV's got on them, they were a real mess. Do not get me wrong, I like riding these trails in the summer time on ATV's bit I just feel that I need to think about other users also.

Completely understand your point of view AK Bearcat. I love snow machining just as much as anyone else and hate to see a trail all tore up by an ATV unnecessarily. Besides all this I did talk to the park service and regardless of trail conditions ATV use is prohibited on Nancy Lake SRA trails during winter. Even if being out there isn't going to damage the melted then frozen trails. Thanks for everyone's point if view. I'm a fan of doing right and making sure I exhaust my resources to make sure I am not doing wrong.

I believe ATV's are prohibited in NLSRA year round except by permit only on the East Red Shirt Lake trail when the ground and lakes are frozen, but there is not enough snow to open for snowmachines. The AK Supreme Court just ruled that permits for Butterfly Lake trail were illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    Completely understand your point of view AK Bearcat. I love snow machining just as much as anyone else and hate to see a trail all tore up by an ATV unnecessarily. Besides all this I did talk to the park service and regardless of trail conditions ATV use is prohibited on Nancy Lake SRA trails during winter. Even if being out there isn't going to damage the melted then frozen trails. Thanks for everyone's point if view. I'm a fan of doing right and making sure I exhaust my resources to make sure I am not doing wrong.

asked the same question here is what I got

From: "Weiant, Rebecca L (DNR)" <rebecca.weiant@alaska.gov>
    Date: December 16, 2013 3:29:18 PM AKST
    ATVs are NOT permitted in Nancy Lake SRA at any time. Snowmachines are now allowed due to sufficient snow coverage. If you have further questions, please let us know!
    Best Regards,
    Rebecca Weiant Natural Resource Technician II DNR Public Information Center
    550 W 7th Ave Ste 1260
    Anchorage, AK 99501

Atv's are not allow in State Parks! Sorry guys Just the way it is!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

I thought about sneaking my wheeler in there, but it's just not worth the risk

This is why I love living here; I do not need anyone's permission to do what I want, when I want, to go where I want. I do feel bad for you folks trapped in that area.

Has there been any discussion regarding 4-wheelers with tracks? Don't need snow for them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...