Thread: Nuka Bay Anchorages

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Default Nuka Bay Anchorages

Any recommendations for overnight anchorages in Nuka Bay

Can you be more specific? Nuka Bay is a big place. Do you possibly mean Nuka Passage? If so, there are some fantastic anchorages on the inside of Nuka Island.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Can you be more specific? Nuka Bay is a big place. Do you possibly mean Nuka Passage? If so, there are some fantastic anchorages on the inside of Nuka Island.
    The area between Yalik Pt, Harrington Pt, Yalik Bay, and Surprise Bay. I've fished Harris Bay and want to try a bit farther south, but don't want to go all the way to Nuka Pasage. It's a long run, so I'd like to do an overnight. There are a lot of coves on the charts, the the charts don't give you much idea about wind and seas, or the bottom.

I'm afraid my knowledge of the area stops at Yalik Pt. I'm pretty familiar with the area south of there but have only passed thru north of there. In flying over the area though, it looks like Surprise Bay has lots of potential. Come to think of it I've seen boats anchored in there before.

I have a trip planned to Nuka Bay and environs this summer, but do not have any experience in those waters to date. If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the anchorages suggested in the U.S. Coast Pilot 9. Nuka Bay starts on page 177 in Chapter 4, which you can download here for free. There is also an excellent book (available free online) about the gold mining history of this region called A Stern and Rockbound Coast.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Steve/AK, Your comments are all helpful, thanks. The fact that other boats have been using Surprise Bay is helpful. There are lots of areas that look good but have uncharted rocks or other obstructions. The coast pilot is helpful and I noticed they mentioned katabatic wind which is another concern. I'll be making my trips in June and I'll let you know what I find out about the anchorages.

NeverLand - Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords: A Marine Guide To The Kenai Peninsula Outer Coast by David Miller covers a lot of anchorages in the Kenai Fjords. I don't think it's as good as the Lethcoe's guide for PWS but still pretty good and the only similar guide I've found since I've moved over to Seward about 6 years ago. My copy is at my place in Seward and I'm in Anchorage now so can't tell you if it covers the areas you're interested until I get back down to check on things, maybe this weekend. I've wanted to head west and explore too but haven't gotten much beyond the Chiswells since I usually head east for the halibut. I'm in Seward all summer from May on so if you want to run with another boat, let me know when you're going.

Neverland,

Locate a copy of "Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fiords" by David Miller. It has a chapter on boating around Nuka Island with information on anchorages.

Doug

Steve,
    Thanks for the link to A Stern and Rockbound Coast. Actual copies of that book are pretty rare and hard to find. It was written for the park service and has never really been available. A friend of mine has a copy that I've read and it's amazing. I read about Herring Pete and Josephine and HAD to go see their homestead for myself. The place they built in is breathtaking and I could see that in it's day their house would have been amazing.
    And the cove they built in has an excellent anchorage.

Looks like S Stern and Rockbound Coast is available online here:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/o...j/hrs/hrst.htm
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Moonlight Bay has a little off-shoot on it's N. E. side that is a great anchorage with a muddy bottom. We stayed in there for a couple nights with no issues in a 58' and also a 24'. Do be careful at the entrance as there is a rock bench on the left half of the entrance but you would see that on your plotter as you approach it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Moonlight Bay has a little off-shoot on it's N. E. side that is a great anchorage with a muddy bottom. We stayed in there for a couple nights with no issues in a 58' and also a 24'. Do be careful at the entrance as there is a rock bench on the left half of the entrance but you would see that on your plotter as you approach it.
    This sounds like Midnight Cove. See entry #1061 on page 179 of the Coast Pilot:

Moonlight Bay, on the E side of McCarty Fiord,
    about 1.8 miles from the terminal moraine, is deep and
    clear. Large vessels can find good anchorage near its
    head in 15 to 30 fathoms, sticky mud bottom. Small
    vessels can find better protection in Midnight Cove, a
    long bight making off to E from the N side of Moonlight
    Bay, but they must avoid a 5-foot shoal about 300 yards
    off the N side of the entrance.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    This sounds like Midnight Cove. See entry #1061 on page 179 of the Coast Pilot:

Moonlight Bay, on the E side of McCarty Fiord,
    about 1.8 miles from the terminal moraine, is deep and
    clear. Large vessels can find good anchorage near its
    head in 15 to 30 fathoms, sticky mud bottom. Small
    vessels can find better protection in Midnight Cove, a
    long bight making off to E from the N side of Moonlight
    Bay, but they must avoid a 5-foot shoal about 300 yards
    off the N side of the entrance.
    That would be the one.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff