Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kimber vs tikka

Default kimber vs tikka

so, what do you guys think? kimber montana vs tikka t3. ive been comparing them in a .308 and just cant come up with a solid decision. ive been hee hawing around with this for months. the tikkas are ranging about 1lb heavier but are also about half the price. ive also heard from people that have tikkas that they will generally shoot a better group than a kimber anyways. i've shot a montana and while the groups were decent they werent a sub moa gun by any means. my friend tried the bolt on a newer kimber and said it felt rough, not smooth at all. what do you guys think. is the kimber overpriced for what you are getting or just get a cheaper tikka that may be more accurate and a little heavier. want a nice mountain gun, don't want to go custom but the montana is about at the end of my price range. already have a zeiss scope new in the box waiting to slap on it, just need the gun to put it on if there is any other gun reccommendation id love to hear them but these two are what ive been thinking about.

I prefer an all metal action against any that have plastic parts.

I have had several of both brands.

What I love best about Kimber is the design of the action and stock. It is fantastic. The downsides are accuracy and, should you need it, customer support from the manufacturer. The Kimber I have now is my fourth one and the other three have been sold due to frustrations with shot grouping. The final decision on the Kimber Montana in 308 I am using now is still open. So far it appears to have potential.

Every Tikka I have owned would shoot 1 to 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards with almost any factory ammo. Most of the time it would be less than an inch grouping by just a bit. With Tikka you get a rifle that is a bit heavier than Kimber but more accurate. If you spend the same amount on Tikka that the new Kimber costs, you can have almost two Tikkas.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 30.06 and love it. The action and bolt is very smooth. I got it Teflon coated also which I really like. The Tikka Lite is only 13oz heavier than the Kimber, hardly even noticeable in normal hunting conditions. I have only shot Federal 180 and 150 grain factory rounds through my rifle and get tight groups at 100 yards, also can reach out to 200 yards with good accuracy. It seems to like the 150 grain more than the 180. The Tikka is a good rifle, and it's half the price of the Montana. I don't think the additional 700$ for the Kimber is worth it.

I've had several of both…and both have the potential to be great rifles.

For accuracy- the Tikka is likely the better candidate as they all seem to shoot lights out right out of the box but I've never had a Kimber that wouldn't deliver at least hunting grade accuracy with something suitable to kill critters with. Others haven't been so fortunate but I can't comment from personal experience. I did have one that was truly outstanding- it would only group 1.5"….but do it with any factory load you stuffed in it, any weight, any bullet…probably the least picky rifle I ever owned.

The Tikka has a lot of plastic parts- and the mag should you lose one is insane in terms of cost and hassle to replace. Back when they cost $499 out the door they were a steal…at $750 though? Not so much at that point.

The 84M is a beautiful action and in the world of lightweight rifles- 13oz generally costs a lot more than the price difference to lose. I really think the 84M Montana is a total steal for the weight v cash outlay. On the used market they tend to be very good bargains as well. I've bought a couple darn near NIB for $800-900 versus their considerable MSRP.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

thanks guys. you've pretty much confirmed my concerns with kimber accuracy vs tikka accuracy but the plastic parts/magazine of the tikka concern me as well....decisions decisions.

I have had my Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM for about 10 years now and I love it. I have never had any issues with it and it will shoot one ragged hole with factory 180 grn bullets if I do my part at 100 yards. It also holds good accuracy at longer distance. I will be buying another one or two. Kimbers seem to have a problem with accuarcy for the money they want for them. The Kimber will win the beauty contest but thats it. My .02 cents.

Default kimber vs tikka

I had both a Tikka 270WSM and a Kimber 280AI at the same time. After the first season with both I realized I wasn't ever going to reach past the Kimber and pull the tikka out for a hunt again so I sold it.

The tikka had a buttery smooth action and was quite accurate. I didn't care for the Tupperware though and the 84L feels better in my hand. The kimber needed some smoothing on the feed rails out of the box but with some Emory paper and a little time it improved dramatically. The Kimber has a much more robust feeling action. You know that each step of the bolt cycle has functioned properly by feel. The Tikka felt no different chambering a round than it did cycling the action on an empty chamber. I don't think CRF vs push feed is a big deal between these types of rifles but I do like the Kimber safety more. The Tikka was more forgiving in Ammo selection and shot everything pretty well. The Kimber has been a little finicky on factory ammo but it likes nosler custom factory 160 partition ammo.

for the record, the "plastic" parts on a Tikka T3 aren't - go ahead and try to destroy a T3 magazine short of burning it, I challenge you - the stock is not "plastic" like remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Savages, etc .. etc .. etc - the worst that can be said about the Tikka, IMO, is that you can't load the mag from the top but have to drop it out to recharge it - As far as magazine expense goes, they are ridiculous from Beretta but you can them on GunBroker all day long for 50-60% less and often times even cheaper - Kimber is a lot of lightweight rifle for the money but it's a crapshoot whether or not you are gonna get a shooter and typically the "non shooters" are not good at all - I had a Montana 280 AI that I could not get inside 2" @ 100 to save my life so I sold it and the '06 84L I got next will put 3 into 3/4" 85% of the time - Kimber are well designed, well made rifles and don't let anyone tell you different

I guess if you have the money and want the Kimber, buy it. I've got one in 300 WM and I really like the stock. It is super light. BUT. It does have accuracy issues. I worked up a good load, but it took a while. That was disappointing.

I looked at the Tikka, but couldn't get past the stock. Didn't like it. Still, if you don't mind the stock and magazine setup, you can't beat the price. Use the difference in price and put it toward a better scope. In the end, while I much prefer the Kimber stock ergonomics and the design, it generally comes down to one shot. My money probably would have been better spent on the Tikka when it comes to accuracy.

I have a couple of the old wood stock Tikka's (.243AI and .30-06) and one in .338 Fed with the composite stock...all shoot under an inch with just a little work on the loads and I have a total of $1,400 in them all...hard to beat that with a Kimber.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't like either one. There are too many downsides with either. I've heard them all so many times. The Tika's ARE accurate, by and large. I've seen it. The Kimbers are light, and it's a great action design. Beyond that, they've got nothing to attract me. I really would NOT own either one.

If I was ofa mind to buy a NEW Factory Rifle, today, it would most likely be a Weatherby Vanguard, Hands Down. They have a reputation for accuracy too, and the ones I've seen, seem to be a lot more rifle than most.

I like to read a thread like this. I cant' get such evaluations from an article in Gun Magazine.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Two years ago I wanted to buy a lightweight, stainless synthetic rifle in 7mm-08 for an upcoming caribou hunt. I spent hours on the internet reading reviews and hunting forums. I ended up buying the Tikka T3 Lite. The only bad word on it from user forums was a few people didn't like the idea of a plastic magazine. Other than that.....I could not find a single bad word about this gun. Two years later and a few more kills under the belt with it and I certainly made a good choice.....could not be more pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I don't like either one. There are too many downsides with either. I've heard them all so many times. The Tika's ARE accurate, by and large. I've seen it. The Kimbers are light, and it's a great action design. Beyond that, they've got nothing to attract me. I really would NOT own either one.

If I was ofa mind to buy a NEW Factory Rifle, today, it would most likely be a Weatherby Vanguard, Hands Down. They have a reputation for accuracy too, and the ones I've seen, seem to be a lot more rifle than most.

I like to read a thread like this. I cant' get such evaluations from an article in Gun Magazine.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    The vanguards are good rifles but really heavy. I've got one in 257 weatherby mag and it is by far the heaviest bolt action I have. I think it's even heavier than my model 700 with a bull barrel.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The Kimber is a semi-clone of the Model 70. With a smaller diameter action and bolt.
    It does have the 3 position Model 70 style safety which LOCKS the FIRING PIN into place. So you can cycle rounds in and out of the chamber and the firing pin cannot move.

Plus the Kimber can be totally field stripped without tools like a Model 70...

But then again I would rather have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight than a Kimber.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Smitty.....you are wise not to evaluate anything from an article in a gun magazine. The author just received a FREE gun to test and if he starts writing bad reviews he won't be getting many more. The magazine also makes it money from the ads the gun company places in it. A few bad articles and no more ads from them! I look for user forums where real people evaluate products based on real experience under real conditions.....and some of the best advice I have received comes from this forum right here.

I'm surprised no one has broughtup the Marlin X7 or Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate. The Ruger is actually 3 oz. lighter and the Marlin is getting great reviews (included on this forum) for out of the box accuracy. I realize neither of these guns will impress anyone at the shooting club but based on the comments below I know i'd pick either one over a Kimber.

I know I would be seriously displeased to pay for a Kimber only to find out it doesn't shoot out of the box.

Of course i'm carrying a Rem 760 in .270 into the mountains this year so take my comments for what they cost ya!

Premium Member

When I first handled a Kimber (.260), I loved the trigger, the action design and the weight. Then I shot it. I never could get a good group out of it, even with a new barrel.

I've handled and shot a Tikka, and it is an excellent rifle. I didn't end up buying it, though I wish I had.

The other one in the mix should be Savage. I have a Savage 11 in .260, and I love it. Good trigger, good accuracy, light but sturdy, and a good price. You might want to check them out.

I would choose the tikka over the kimber all day long. My personal choice would be neither though

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
    The other one in the mix should be Savage. I have a Savage 11 in .260, and I love it. Good trigger, good accuracy, light but sturdy, and a good price. You might want to check them out.
    Great point, don't know how I left that off!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast