Thread: February/March Love Songs

Default February/March Love Songs

Wondering what types of coyote calls work best during the breeding season and why. Female long howls, male challenge calls etc.? Any advice appreciated. Trying to learn the canine language of love. I gotta new coyote spot I wanna try soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Wondering what types of coyote calls work best during the breeding season and why. Female long howls, male challenge calls etc.? Any advice appreciated. Trying to learn the canine language of love. I gotta new coyote spot I wanna try soon.
    Seriously??? Nobody up here uses coyote calls, or are you just being tight-lipped about your secrets?

We'll I have tried vocals but so far I've literally had zero response in two seasons. I've tried both mouth calls and an ecaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    We'll I have tried vocals but so far I've literally had zero response in two seasons. I've tried both mouth calls and an ecaller.

Well thanks for your honesty limon32. Rep point comin your way +1. I take it distress calls work for you though?

I killed one coyote using hare distress last year in November and haven't called on in since then.

It's so easy walking out there right now I hope to do quite a bit more calling in the next couple weeks in some places I couldn't get to last year because of the deep snow.

I have had quite a few responses with both hand calls and e-callers up here around Fairbanks. Saturday I did some various distress calls with the e-caller with no luck then did some female bark howls and then challenge howls and had one about a mile out get all kinds of upset. Unfortunately it wouldn't come closer. I have also had responses to hand calls doing the lone howl; or what some call the interrogation howl. I use it often as a way to locate them so I can move closer and setup a stand. I have also had wolves howl back several times using a coyote howler. I haven't knocked anything down yet but I think that has more to do with not being able to get away from heavily called areas and my time constraints. I usually never have time to hunt all day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    I have had quite a few responses with both hand calls and e-callers up here around Fairbanks. Saturday I did some various distress calls with the e-caller with no luck then did some female bark howls and then challenge howls and had one about a mile out get all kinds of upset. Unfortunately it wouldn't come closer. I have also had responses to hand calls doing the lone howl; or what some call the interrogation howl. I use it often as a way to locate them so I can move closer and setup a stand. I have also had wolves howl back several times using a coyote howler. I haven't knocked anything down yet but I think that has more to do with not being able to get away from heavily called areas and my time constraints. I usually never have time to hunt all day.
    Thanks for your input Oldschool45. Rep sent your way.

It has not been a good year for walking in, with freezing rain in December and then the recent meltdown, it is so crunchy and loud they hear you coming for miles, this is what i have experienced the two trips i have been on
    "f/64 and be there"

I hear ya EMoss. Its been tough for me too. I been trying to call larger open areas with the hopes that critters who didn't hear my approach will come out on the other side into gun range.

I havent got out but a couple times this yr. Back in Dec when I went duck hunting in Seward during that bad snowstorm I spent the nite off the city dump rd. I spend the nite out there frequently when traveling that area. Coyotes like to hang out around there. I was looking for a good pull off spot to pull off and eat, sleep for the nite during the heavy snowfall and noticed 'minute' old tracks going across a stretch I had just driven. I went back a block away from the tracks to a place I had picked as my overnite spot. Knowing the yote was not too far away I couldnt resist pulling out my foxpro and giving it a try prior to starting my dinner as it was just getting dark. I figured being so close to town and houses why not give my "kitten in distress" call a try. So I slid the window open a bit in my RV and let her howl for about 4-5 minutes. Then went about making dinner. About ten minutes later after boiling some water I opened the back RV door to pour some out of the pan just as I saw the ghost shape of the coyote about 100 yrds away crossing the open field to sneak around to my downwind side. Obviously I wasnt set up to get, him but maybe being around people areas something like the 'cat' calls might be the ticket. I know yotes sure like to eat cats they can catch. ---- Anyhow, I thought that was pretty cool and something Im gonna try around my home area.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Try to start off with a non threatening bark howl. I have a ton of different sounds and try to use a female. Play that for a few sequences, pausing in between the sounds. Then just sit and listen. Sometimes it'll take a few minutes for them to sound off. If you don't hear anything, try a more aggressive howl at a lower pitch. The lower pitch sounds travel farther. Again, sit and listen. If you hear something howling back at you, just sit quiet for a couple minutes. After that, I try to play a younger sounding, high pitch vocal for a few renditions and then go silent. If they sound off, hopefully you can tell if they're closing the distance and coming in. Many times though, they remain silent. When it stays silent, many times it means they're on the move (towards you). After another few minutes, or whatever you feel is a good amount of time, try a lower volume small animal distress or a coyote pup distress. Let that play on and off and just finish up the stand. I've had success with this method, so it might work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I havent got out but a couple times this yr. Back in Dec when I went duck hunting in Seward during that bad snowstorm I spent the nite off the city dump rd. I spend the nite out there frequently when traveling that area. Coyotes like to hang out around there. I was looking for a good pull off spot to pull off and eat, sleep for the nite during the heavy snowfall and noticed 'minute' old tracks going across a stretch I had just driven. I went back a block away from the tracks to a place I had picked as my overnite spot. Knowing the yote was not too far away I couldnt resist pulling out my foxpro and giving it a try prior to starting my dinner as it was just getting dark. I figured being so close to town and houses why not give my "kitten in distress" call a try. So I slid the window open a bit in my RV and let her howl for about 4-5 minutes. Then went about making dinner. About ten minutes later after boiling some water I opened the back RV door to pour some out of the pan just as I saw the ghost shape of the coyote about 100 yrds away crossing the open field to sneak around to my downwind side. Obviously I wasnt set up to get, him but maybe being around people areas something like the 'cat' calls might be the ticket. I know yotes sure like to eat cats they can catch. ---- Anyhow, I thought that was pretty cool and something Im gonna try around my home area.
    Funny story. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Try to start off with a non threatening bark howl. I have a ton of different sounds and try to use a female. Play that for a few sequences, pausing in between the sounds. Then just sit and listen. Sometimes it'll take a few minutes for them to sound off. If you don't hear anything, try a more aggressive howl at a lower pitch. The lower pitch sounds travel farther. Again, sit and listen. If you hear something howling back at you, just sit quiet for a couple minutes. After that, I try to play a younger sounding, high pitch vocal for a few renditions and then go silent. If they sound off, hopefully you can tell if they're closing the distance and coming in. Many times though, they remain silent. When it stays silent, many times it means they're on the move (towards you). After another few minutes, or whatever you feel is a good amount of time, try a lower volume small animal distress or a coyote pup distress. Let that play on and off and just finish up the stand. I've had success with this method, so it might work for you.
    Excellent advice snowcamoman. Rep point sent your way.

Well bushwack, unfortunately this year has been an all around bad year for calling but I give you props for still going at it! Let's see, I have done the KIYI call during the latter part of February and beginning of march and sometimes that will get a coyote that is within ear shot to vocalize with you. I think snowcamoman has the best answer as far as sound cadences and calling cadences goes... He seems to do a lot more than most of us. I have had success with young coyote barks, sometimes this will peak the interest of a local dominate male and sometimes they will immediately howl back, sometimes it takes a few minutes but if there is a dominate male in the area and he hears that young bark he usually starts making a move, I have taken songdogs with doing young yote barks. Uhmmmmmmmmmm, thats about it for me as far as songdog calls go. I stick with distress calls more than anything. Hope this is helpful.