Thread: Have you been north lately?

Default Have you been north lately?

has anyone been up the haul road lately? I'm wondering how the conditions are. I am trying to plan a trip for next weekend or the following.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    has anyone been up the haul road lately? I'm wondering how the conditions are. I am trying to plan a trip for next weekend or the following.
    That sounds like an awesome adventure. I have been wanting to do that for awhile now. I have seen wolves crossing the road up that way while caribou hunting on multiple trips I have taken up there. There are also lots of fox. You should have a heck of a time. Where do you plan on spending the night? Are you going to just rough it in your vehicle, or do you plan on staying the night at Coldfoot? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That sounds like an awesome adventure. I have been wanting to do that for awhile now. I have seen wolves crossing the road up that way while caribou hunting on multiple trips I have taken up there. There are also lots of fox. You should have a heck of a time. Where do you plan on spending the night? Are you going to just rough it in your vehicle, or do you plan on staying the night at Coldfoot? Just curious.
    I was planning on staying in the 4 season tent with my two blackcat heaters going and my -40 bag. figured I should be cozy, but i could always sleep in the vehicle too. I was going to stay at pullouts and stuff. I could do coldfoot, but i was thinking of staying at grayling lake

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    I was planning on staying in the 4 season tent with my two blackcat heaters going and my -40 bag. figured I should be cozy, but i could always sleep in the vehicle too. I was going to stay at pullouts and stuff. I could do coldfoot, but i was thinking of staying at grayling lake
    Not sure if you have been up there before, but I'll just throw out a few ideas for you. Galbraith Lake has an old abandoned campground that is a few miles off the road. If you are going to camp, that would be an ideal place if the road is plowed out to the campground this time of year. There is no fee and it is a nice location. My guess is that it would be a good place to call as well since I have seen a lot of predators around that area. There is also a nice campground about 10 miles out of Coldfoot as well. I believe the name of the campground is the Marion Creek Campground. I would think this would also be a good area to call. I have seen predators close by there as well. Not sure if it is open this time of year. I think there is a $10 fee for this campground. Plus you are not too far away from Coldfoot so you could take a break from the cold and get some warm grub and coffee if need be. Make sure you bring a couple spare tires and adequate emergency gear in case you break down. That road is the most remote I have been to in AK as far as the road system goes. You have to be totally self-sufficient and it can get extremely cold in the winter time. I believe Coldfoot has seen temperatures down to -80. So you might want to bring a couple sleeping bags. Good luck. Oh and one more thing. The pull offs you refer to are sometimes nothing more than just enough room for your vehicle to get off the highway so you don't become road pizza from the semis. Very rarely on those pull out site have I found adequate tent sites. Usually the ground is very irregular however being that it is wintertime I suppose you could build a nice tent pad on top of the snow. If you go to Galbraith or to Marion Creek, at least you will have some nice tent site locations. The best way to hunt the haul road is if you have a truck with a topper or some way to sleep right in your rig.

Bring enough fuel/ containers to leave your truck running the entire time you are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Just out of curiosity how are you planning on hunting the corridor? I haven't looked at the regs for winter time. Does everyone know something I don't? (that wouldn't be new for me)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    Just out of curiosity how are you planning on hunting the corridor? I haven't looked at the regs for winter time. Does everyone know something I don't? (that wouldn't be new for me)
    This was discussed in detail last year. Apparently if you are carrying a trapping license and you are using your rifle under trapping regulations, it is okay to use a firearm. I have not heard if this is true from fish and game, so don't take my word for it. Here is a link to the thread that was discussed last year. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ping+haul+road