Thread: Hoping to be heading up from Ky

Default Hoping to be heading up from Ky

1st off thanks for letting me join the site, it's awesome!

A buddy and I are looking at coming up and doing some black bear hunting, no guide needed for black bear, correct?
    If no guide is needed we are hoping to stay around the Eagle River area. Good area for black bear? If not is there good hunting close and if not where is the best hunting at?
    We will be on a DIY hunt and hoping to do it with our bows instead of rifles.
    Any info is appreciated and we are really hoping to come up and see the beautiful state of Alaska!

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of info on this site for sure. Even an old timer like me learns something new
    almost daily. To start, you'll be advised to do some searching on past discussions about your interest (BB hunting )
    Next you'll be best to be more specific as to time of year you plan to hunt , spring vs fall. You stated you preferred
    to hunt with your bow. In my opinion, (which is worth half the normal 2 cents ) you would be restricting yourself.
    Others on here who are great bow hunters and have taken numerous animals could give you better advice .
    This is, in my opinion the best state in the country.Come up once and I'm sure you'll be back.

When and where would be the best black bear hunting? If we can't stay in the eagle river area then so be, I just want the best opportunity to harvest a bear.

What type to transportation are you going to have once you get here? If you are walking then you are really going to limit your success. Hunting with a bow, one of your best chances are over bait, which can be a lot of work.
    Give us more information so we can add to what you need to know.

There are many threads in the bow hunting or Bear baiting forum of this site that will likely peak your interest. For good opportunities, consider chartering a ride and then camping in unit 16B.

Also, don't forget your pepper spray ... if you like them spicy.

for the guys located in the SE part of the state correct me if im wrong but doesn't SE AK have the highest black bear density? I know from the little research i've done as far as size and number of bears i think i would head down there. If you are bowhunting then you may want to invest in some calls and if you are going to try to call em in close it would be better to do where there isnt a high chance of calling in a brownie. just my .02. i've seen lots of nice bowhunting footage of people who were spot and stalk hunting on tide flats and along salmon creeks that looked pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    for the guys located in the SE part of the state correct me if im wrong but doesn't SE AK have the highest black bear density? I know from the little research i've done as far as size and number of bears i think i would head down there. If you are bowhunting then you may want to invest in some calls and if you are going to try to call em in close it would be better to do where there isnt a high chance of calling in a brownie. just my .02. i've seen lots of nice bowhunting footage of people who were spot and stalk hunting on tide flats and along salmon creeks that looked pretty fun.
    Southeast Alaska has the highest concentration of Brown Bears in Alaska (on the ABC Islands 1 per square mile). There are no Black bears on the ABC islands, but southern southeast has one of the highest densities of black bears in the state (1.51 bears/km2). I would rather hunt southeast than up in the south-central area any day. More bears, less people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I would rather hunt southeast than up in the south-central area any day. More bears, less people.
    And, from what I hear, a lot more rain...............lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks guys for the info you all was willing to share with a out of state guy. If any of you ever come down this way I'd be more then willing to help you on getting a deer or turkey.

Using the search function you should be able to find a couple million dollars worth of black bear hunting info.

First thing you need to do is read the regulations.

Staying in Eagle River will add nothing to your success. It's a suburb of Anchorage surrounded by park land with hunting and weapons restrictions. Lots of people.

If you are serious about black bear hunting w/o going through the hassle of a bait station you will head south along the Seward highway and climb the mountains and spot and stalk bears. Make sure you are in sheep hunting fitness and enjoy near vertical jungle.

You didn't mention the time of year...

Spot and stalk in the alpine come fall when the bears are feeding in berries will be your best chance of success with minimal expense on the road system- be prepared to hike and climb like heck- I'd probably use a rifle for that but I'm not a bow hunter either. I'd also look somewhere other than E. River…like the Mat Su, Seward or Valdez- unless you have some other reason to base out of there.

If you have a little coin to spend then a boat based hunt in PWS has a pretty high success rate for moderate cost… camping on a floating seafood buffet isn't a bad deal either.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit