Thread: Halibut fishing Homer Feb 01 2014

Default Halibut fishing Homer Feb 01 2014

Here we go in the morning. Fresh halibut and kings for dinner!

We're headed down too ......... will compare notes later. A little nippy this morning.

Good luck guys. I'm headed down next weekend for the same. Hoping to hear good reports
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?Ē --Jack Handy

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Here we go in the morning. Fresh halibut and kings for dinner!
    We're expecting a report.

Slow today, Hooked 9 landed 4 kings, 3 halibut, 10 rockfish, 2 gray cod. Lost 2 kings to a salmon shark, and one direct hookup on a shark 45sec to the spool. Why does my thumb hurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post
    We're expecting a report.

Slow today, Hooked 9 landed 4 kings, 3 halibut, 10 rockfish, 2 gray cod. Lost 2 kings to a salmon shark, and one direct hookup on a shark 45sec to the spool. Why does my thumb hurt?
    Nice!!! Don't know how many on the boat but sounds like a pretty good day!! A dozen pollock on Thursday for me. Spent a lot of time crossing over to China Poot and back. Drove the civic so stayed on the road.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Default Feb 1

DSCF0013.jpg Weather was nice off Seldovia yesterday ..... but fishing seemed pretty slow for us. One small king one halibut, one rockfish. Saw a few kings caught ..... mostly small ones. Fished mostly in 80 feet of water with one line at 60' and one at 70'. Wondering what depth others were fishing at? We had a whole troll herring on one of the lines the whole time (about 5 hrs). Guess there were salmon sharks in the area ... saw someone fighting something big for a long time before it broke off. Saw a salmon shark tied over the motor bracket at the boat ramp ...... someone managed to land.

Kardinal 84, Just 2 on the boat. Not sure how Josh ended up, but I know he got a 50lb halibut. One boat had 8 kings and 8 halibut plus a bunch of cod. It was just a nice day on the water.
    Cormit, we fished 55 and 60 feet fishing herring behind flashers.

Kardinal 84, Just 2 on the boat. Not sure how Josh ended up, but I know he got a 50lb halibut. One boat had 8 kings and 8 halibut plus a bunch of cod. It was just a nice day on the water.
    Cormit, we fished 55 and 60 feet fishing herring behind flashers.
    That's a slow day? Hate to see a great day!! Lol.

Water was awesome but just some pretty pics for me. Strategizing for the derby!! Can't wait!

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S5.../IMAGE_463.jpg

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-su.../IMAGE_465.jpg

Iím not so sure I can take much more of yall killing kings down there without forcing myself to get the boat out of storage and head down. Itís only a 22 foot Boulton with a soft top but Iím sure I can make due having been out in PWS in late November and K bay with big rollers. Anyone wanna talk me out of it?

It's getting cold, and the bite is over. Did that help? If not I am fishing a Aurora 22.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    DSCF0013.jpg Weather was nice off Seldovia yesterday ..... but fishing seemed pretty slow for us. One small king one halibut, one rockfish. Saw a few kings caught ..... mostly small ones. Fished mostly in 80 feet of water with one line at 60' and one at 70'. Wondering what depth others were fishing at? We had a whole troll herring on one of the lines the whole time (about 5 hrs). Guess there were salmon sharks in the area ... saw someone fighting something big for a long time before it broke off. Saw a salmon shark tied over the motor bracket at the boat ramp ...... someone managed to land.
    Attachment 76649we wake em all the time!! super fun fight!! one hell of a game fish!! Cheers