Thread: Big Lake Trail 11

Default Big Lake Trail 11

I was looking at the big lake trails site and it looks like trail 11 might be a good way to get freight out to the Yentna. HAs anyone hauled freight over Trail 11? If so, how is it? No big steep hills or bad spots?

There are several creeks, including the little su, which this trail crosses. The trail drops down very steeply when descending into these creek valleys, and is very steep going back up the other side. I've not hauled big loads of freight before, but I image it may be very difficult with real heavy loads. May want to try a lighter load for you first run. Good luck!

from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

we take the gas line trail back and it isnt too bad. I just got a report that there is still little snow on the gas line trail up to the su but then its pretty hard packed and scratchers are a must. The guys that went out had those 45 dollar thin metal scratchers from amds and they snapped two of them just from how hard it was. They said better get the beefier dura flex scratchers.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Leave from deshka landing, you won't have any issues. Everything is rock hard and all the overflow is frozen.
    It's been below or around zero at night for almost a week. Scratches are recommended.
    BK

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

We went out on Trail 11 to the Susitna River back in January before the worst of the warm weather and it was not much good then, can't imagine what it's like now. The trail is not being groomed this year which doesn't help. As ERL said there are numerous steep sections and short, tight creek crossings that would be really tough to get through with a freight sled.

When we came back in from that trip we came off the river on Trail 11, switched over to trail 6 and then trail 5 that goes into Big Lake. That was a much better trail even though it overlaps with the Iron Dog Trail for a ways. It had been freshly groomed part of the way and was a great trail but still no good for hauling freight. Like BK says, go to the Deshka Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Leave from deshka landing, you won't have any issues. Everything is rock hard and all the overflow is frozen.
    It's been below or around zero at night for almost a week. Scratches are recommended.
    BK
    I just did a trip yesterday, Ditto, what bkmail, said