Thread: Ace Line Hauler or Scotty Line Puller... for a skiff

Default Ace Line Hauler or Scotty Line Puller... for a skiff

No Electradyne this time,

I can buy a Scotty Line Puller for $500 locally or an Ace Line Hauler for $599 plus an additional $69 for the hands free option. This is going on a skiff to pull crab rings from 125' and crab pots and shrimp from 150-600'

My son is 7 and my daughters are 2 and 5 and they all love boating and crabbing. I am leaning towards the Ace Line Hauler with the hands free because the Scotty Line Puller requires you to constantly pull and as a capstan head you could get a knot, but the Scotty line puller could do double duty as my anchor puller for halibut.

Ez-Pullers, Safety Pullers (our family has 3 Safety Pullers and they are great) and the ED are all a whole other step up in pricing to be thought of in this buying scenario.

Thoughts? Scotty or Ace? OR do people really hate their Scotties or Aces? I know there are lot of Ace fans out there and I am leaning in that direction.

Sobie2

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

I just returned from the Seattle Boat Show. At the show, Outdoor Emporium was selling the ACE line hauler for 548.00 which included a free hands free option. I was planning on buying one however I changed my mind when we visited Sportco (sister company of Outdoor Emporium). Tom (a very knowledgeable individual talked me into the Scotty Line puller. He told me they have sold 200 of them and have had zero warranty issues. It is true you have to hold the line but you exert no pressure. He owns both and sells both so he had no dog in the fight. He recommended the Scotty. The boom looks short compared to the ACE line hauler but he stated they are almost identical. Will not be able to tell you how it works until May. Hopefully another forum member has used one and can weigh in.

Default Ace Line Hauler or Scotty Line Puller... for a skiff

There is a guy selling a new puller on craigslist. HeS the same guy who makes the hands free kit. It's got a bigger motor than the ace which is the only thing that I don't like about mine. Other than that the ace works fine for me. I pull two pot strings from 450-600' for shrimp in PWS.

I noticed the ace pullers have a new heavy duty external switch and reinforced boom, so wonder if they put in a stronger motor.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I've had the Ace line hauler for a few years and have been really happy with it. I use it to pull shrimp pots in PWS and it has no problem pulling the a string of 3.my crab pots are heavier and it still works just fine. With a load of 3 full shrimp pots it will pull about 60feet per minute not the 140 it advertises

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

I used to pull two pots at a time with my Ace. Doesn't take much resistance to slow it down and I used to pull on my end of the line to speed things up. I don't think it would handle pulling an anchor. Went through numerous different haulers over the years ..... add 'em all up and I could have bough an ED for less. Finally did break down and bought an ED ..... and that hauler is in a league of it's own. Did I say it was fast too?

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Electri...rab+pot+puller
    I do like the compact size, free shipping with Amazon Prime. Fast setup for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

I can buy a Scotty Line Puller for $500 locally or an Ace Line Hauler for $599 plus an additional $69 for the hands free option. This is going on a skiff to pull crab rings from 125' and crab pots and shrimp from 150-600'

My son is 7 and my daughters are 2 and 5 and they all love boating and crabbing. I am leaning towards the Ace Line Hauler with the hands free because the Scotty Line Puller requires you to constantly pull and as a capstan head you could get a knot, but the Scotty line puller could do double duty as my anchor puller for halibut.

Ez-Pullers, Safety Pullers (our family has 3 Safety Pullers and they are great) and the ED are all a whole other step up in pricing to be thought of in this buying scenario.

Thoughts? Scotty or Ace? OR do people really hate their Scotties or Aces? I know there are lot of Ace fans out there and I am leaning in that direction.

Sobie2
    I hope your not going to let the kids haul pots when your out with them ?? Both those "toys" can be dangerous but if it were me i'd go for the Ace w/hands free option. That little scotty with the capstan(i use that term loosely) facing up like it does is a accident just waiting to happen when a cuff/sleeve or piece of rope gets caught/pinched between the capstan and a wrap of rope. I don't want to think what it could do to a little arm or set of fingers !!
    Just a thought don't you think as slow as they haul that the crab will just walk off the ring since there is very little water pressure to hold it on to the ring ???
    I know you said no ED but just a thought at $670 plus shipping your half way to a ED ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Electri...rab+pot+puller
    I do like the compact size, free shipping with Amazon Prime. Fast setup for sure.
    Just looking at the picture of it i'd guess that tiny capstan is maybe 2" in diameter(where the rope wraps) so it pulls a whopping 7" per rev !! I can just imagine what it does to the rope going around that small a diameter capstan ?? Arsewhole city ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Had the Ace for several years. It served me well and never quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Sobie2
    Ok, to be more specific with respect to your original question,I would purchase the ACE over the Scotty. I looked at the Scotty’s last year at the sportsman show and was notimpressed. I put the auto coiler on myACE last year and love it. Is it fast,no, but I can drink my coffee and watch the line come in. When a knot comes along you just let itthrough pulling on the spring loaded auto feeder, no problem. When you’re done just pull the base pin,detach the boom if you like, unplug and stow it; can’t do that with ED. Not saying the ED is not a better puller,just not the best fit for smaller boats with limited deck space.
    I do think the new ACEs are an improvement of the previousones with the heavy duty external switch and reinforced boom gusset.