Thread: Skin your Wolf or Wolverine

Default Skin your Wolf or Wolverine

I am taking the registered guide exam this March in Fairbanks and need footage prior to the exam of me skinning a wolf or wolverine. Actaully any big game animal ie-bear, moose, caribou, elk, sb-t deer, muskox, bison, goat, dall sheep, wolf or wolverine. If you catch a wolf or woverine and wouln't mind me skinning and fleshing it for you or hear of anyone who has other options please let me know! Thanks!

You might call your local moose salvage group and offer to do their next road kill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUG View Post
    I am taking the registered guide exam this March in Fairbanks and need footage prior to the exam of me skinning a wolf or wolverine. Actaully any big game animal ie-bear, moose, caribou, elk, sb-t deer, muskox, bison, goat, dall sheep, wolf or wolverine. If you catch a wolf or woverine and wouln't mind me skinning and fleshing it for you or hear of anyone who has other options please let me know! Thanks!
    Well that's new. Since when did the state require video footage of skinning and fleshing to receive a registered guide license? I got mine about ten years ago and I had to take a couple tests and get 8 letters of recommendation from past clients. Never heard of this new requirement.

I doubt any one is going to turn over a wolf or a wolverine to someone they know nothing about,your best bet would be with the road kill program for moose.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    I doubt any one is going to turn over a wolf or a wolverine to someone they know nothing about,your best bet would be with the road kill program for moose.
    Not to mention the fact that even if someone did allow you to skin their wolf or wolverine, they would most likely want you to case skin it if they are a trapper. Since you are taking a test to be a registered guide, I would think you would need to skin a bear to make a rug, or skin a sheep, moose or caribou to do a shoulder or full body mount. I would check with any local taxidermists. Offer to assist them in fleshing and turning ears and lips in the shop. Perhaps ask fish and game for a list of who is getting drawn for the winter targeted hunt. If you call and volunteer your time to assist in field dressing and processing perhaps someone will take you up. Either that or give fish and game your phone # and they can offer it to the hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Since you are taking a test to be a registered guide, I would think you would need to skin a bear to make a rug, or skin a sheep, moose or caribou to do a shoulder or full body mount. I would check with any local taxidermists. Offer to assist them in fleshing and turning ears and lips in the shop.
    Good advise. Skinning a wolverine is one thing, to cape and prep a ram, or life size a bear is quite another......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the thoughts everyone a few things however...I have skinned many bears and moose over the past 10+ years I have been guiding and yes while a wolf or wolverine is nothing like skinning a bear, sheep or moose it is all that is required for the exam. Not sure about you all but I never seem to have time to take care of a trophy and the client and film myself skinning, fleshing and turning while in the field so everyone who takes this exam waits until winter and offers their skills to someone who is trapping. And while I am sure not everyone is willing to turn over an animal to be taken care of for them, I do know plenty of people out there are in fact quite willing to help out someone in the hunting/trapping industry.