Thread: Toxic broad heads

Default Toxic broad heads

So who's gonna give these new broad heads a try? I know archery is always trying to reinvent the wheel but these things look wicked!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wonder how the broad head will cut in the animal if it isn't a pass through? Traditional razor like broad heads that have outward facing edges will continue to cut as the animal moves if the broad head is still in the animal - I'm not seeing a lot of that happening with this new design.

It looks like it will take a core sample of what its hitting taking hair and hide into the wound channel - from entry wound pictures on other forums it looks like it doesn't have a chance to clot...

I bet it will do some serious damage as long as they fly straight/quietly...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

NO way Jose.....

I cannot imagine what these would do on a large animal like a moose's ribs.....if that round blade hit dead on your penetration would be terrible. I can't imagine the force that it would take to push that through an animal....

If you add up all that cutting surface, it would be like a 3 blade standard broad head with a 4 inch cutting diameter....no thanks.

Looked them up online. No way..... Looks like something that was tried back in the 60-70's.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

That looks the same as one called an 'apple corer' from early 80's. Great on soft tissue but not bone...

An acquaintance of mine shot a black bear with one last spring. said it did some pretty nasty damage. He smacked a rib on the way in and out and got complete pass through. The arrow buried itself into the tree behind the bear after exiting. He said the bear spun in a circle a few times and then took a few running steps and fell head over heels while trying to scramble away. He said the whole thing took about 15 seconds and then the bear was death moaning. Blood everywhere. It will definitely kill animals, of that I have no doubt, but these heads aren't for me. He also said that he couldn't get them to tune very well and wouldn't take more than a 25 yard shot though... Just a little information for those wanting it.

hmm. this is kind of an interesting concept i guess the theory being the arrow maintains its roatation on contact instead of slowing or ceasing its roatation and losing some energy? wierd. if you think about trying to rotate a flat surface through tissue vs this thing i would assume this might rotate better and actually give better penetration? i would love to see some actual penetration tests on actual meat and bone to see what the different would be with this contraption. needless to say i dont think i would rush out and change my broadheads anytime soon

edit. i guess im not sure how this head would react. do you guys think this would even make a spiral wound chanel or just come to a stop and push straight through? i guess i cant figure if they meant to add more cutting surface or to make it rotate

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    if you think about trying to rotate a flat surface through tissue vs this thing i would assume this might rotate better and actually give better penetration?
    I was thinking the same thing. Just looking at the cylindrical design I would think it would spin better causing it to cut easier through mass. Only thing I was thinking is it may not create a big enough wound channel...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

reports on block target damage is impressive....lol i guess these things tear targets all to peices. other reports i've read have been that with a properly tuned bow, field point accuracy and complete pass thru's even after hitting ribs like the poster above mentioned.
    interesting idea and cool to look at!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Just looking at the cylindrical design I would think it would spin better causing it to cut easier through mass. Only thing I was thinking is it may not create a big enough wound channel...???
    i would actually think the wound channel would be bigger...these would have more actual cutting surface because the blade is curved. take a broadhead with a huge cutting diameter and curve the blades like the picture and you would have the same thing. the wound would not be staight across but the the amount of tissue being cut i believe should be larger....whoa...this is getting too much to think about for a saturday morning . brwnbear why dont you go find a nice 10ft er and tell us how they do?

ok the toxic broadheads and the broadhead pictured here on this thread are two totally different designs. sorry i just assumed it was similiar to the one posted here. the toxic bradhead has curved blades but is not anything like the 1971 head pictured here. while the 1971 head is intriguing and i have never seen anything like it the toxics would react totally different. i dont think id use the toxics seem like with a 50lb recurve you might not have all the punch to make good use of all that cutting area.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    ok the toxic broadheads and the broadhead pictured here on this thread are two totally different designs. .
    Yeah.....I assumed the same and just looked them up myself. Don't know what to think about them now......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The idea is making perfect holes, compared to slices, plus not giving you the big vains in the front of your bow (the reason why you need a perfectly tuned bow to shoot broad heads is because of the front vains) now I'm pretty new to the sport and don't want to fall for a gimic but I've read lots of good things about these and most negative comments were from people who had never shot the broad head. I'm going make a big effort this year to get my bow super tuned and then try different broad heads to see which one shoots the best, this head might make it on the list...

I think I'm gonna give these a try.

http://anarchyarchery.com/anarchy-broadhead-arrows

Man I'd love to field test them On a 10' bear!!! A hairy animal like goat or Musk ox would be an interesting test as well. One report the guy did say they work best with heavier arrows rather than super light fast ones. Makes sense, more cutting area probably takes more energy to keep it moving.
    Tell ya what, I'm not pulling out my credit card on these yet, but interested.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Looked them up online. No way..... Looks like something that was tried back in the 60-70's.
    The broad-head I pictured is the older one, not the Toxic.

And my answer is still the same. No.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Lots of images on web pic search of toxic broad head wounds as well as the actual broad head, not the picture posted. I have not tried them yet but look forward to the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

If I was hunting water jugs this would be the broad head of choice no doubt.

http://youtu.be/wDKLxpw31VY

i'll wait till they come out with the expandable version...lol