Thread: Panel lights driving me nuts

Default Panel lights driving me nuts

When I bought my 172N a few months back the owner thought that the post lights did not work ( they did not) and that somebody had installed one of those light strips under the panel lip instead.

Well the other night I whacked the panel and a few of the old post lights came on.... It turns out they had a bad ground wire down inside the huge mess of old wires that were left in place over many, many panel alterations.

Thus I spend a day fixing the ground and adjusting all the little light bulbs so they would make contact work. I also installed new wire jacks.

HOWEVER...... While the post lights worked great when the outer panel fascia was not totally tightened down... One wire managed to ground out (arced against the metal panel) when I did the last bit of tightening and it smoked the breaker and a 5 amp fuse which I eventually found buried in a wire bundle.

Now I have fixed all the potential arcing points and installed a new fuse....

BUT GUESS WHAT.... Now the darn dimmer switch does not work...
    When turned all the way to the max position it acts like a switch and I get full power to the lights... But anything less and they are all dark, including the red overhead light and the glow strip....

I must have zapped the old rheostat part of the dimmer switch... WHAT A PAIN...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That looks like a nightmare... and it's not like it's comfotable to try and lay down under it to work on it. Good luck to you
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Lose the post lights and the original Cessna dimmer. Install a MaxDim control for the glow strips. Problem solved.

Ah, the joys of aircraft ownership ..............

I miss the old PA-11 where the instrument lighting was a small flashlight hooked to my hat or a chem light hanging from the overhead tubing.
    And there were about 12 wires in the whole plane, if you counted the spark plug leads.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com