Thread: Cleaning/Restoring rusty traps

Default Cleaning/Restoring rusty traps

Any good advice on restoring rusty neglected traps? They aren't horrible by any means and are still functional, but it would be great to get them nice and clean again, and start over with a fresh wax. I was thinking about sandblasting them. Any advice would be great.

Google or YouTube electrolytic rust removal. Works great! Super easy and cheap to do at home. No scrubbing or wire brushes or chemicals or anything. You probably have most or all of the supplies you need already. It takes it down to bare clean metal, ready for oil, or wax, or whatever.

Scott

I soaked some in vinegar one time, that took the rust right off. Be careful not to leave them in too long though, I did that once too! Really weakened the springs. Maybe someone else has tried it and can help me remember what length of time is good for them?
    Ryan from Wasilla

I would just dye them and then wax if wanted and not worry about the rust.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was always told to throw new traps in the yard and get rusted up before waxing and dyeing for sent control
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Ideally you want all oils and foreign odors off the trap. Then you want a rusty surface for the die and wax to adhear too. If you have rust so bad that you have chucks or flakes, or the jaws are jagged and not closing correctly, you need to do a little brushing or even grinding to bring them back. Alot of trappers (including me) leave traps in the field all year long so you don't have to haul all that gear in and out every year. If you do leave them out all year, make sure that they are hanging and not laying directly on the ground or you will get the over rusting and also might have your traps froze into the ground the following year. If you can, hang the traps up against a tree so they are slightly protected from the weather. If you prepare your traps correctly they should last years before you need to clean, re boil, die, and wax again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Any good advice on restoring rusty neglected traps? They aren't horrible by any means and are still functional, but it would be great to get them nice and clean again, and start over with a fresh wax. I was thinking about sandblasting them. Any advice would be great.
    I use Alumabrite. Mix it 50/50 with water in a 5gal bucket and drop them in for a day. It takes the rust off down to bare metal. I then let a little surface rust form then dip them in Speed Dip.

A friend of mine uses PolyZ which does the same thing. He does the extra work of old school logwood dying and waxing afterward.
    Now what ?