Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoked chicken for cheaters....

Default smoked chicken for cheaters....

I was thinking of smoking one of those pre-cooked roasted chickens from Sam's/Costco, figured adding a little smoke to it would be an easy way to make a smoked chicken in a short amount of time, for a $5 chicken it seemed like a cheap way to give it a try. I will report on my findings.

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking about an hour of smoke should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I was thinking of smoking one of those pre-cooked roasted chickens from Sam's/Costco, figured adding a little smoke to it would be an easy way to make a smoked chicken in a short amount of time, for a $5 chicken it seemed like a cheap way to give it a try. I will report on my findings.

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking about an hour of smoke should do it.
    Never tried it, they are generally so done here that I would be worried I would over do it... I mostly cook thighs or leg quarters and they smoke great at high temps, I can gennerally have them done in 2 hours running my drum at 300/325

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

What made me think of trying it was that my wife cooked some chicken breasts in the crockpot last weekend and there was some left over when I was smoking my first batch of fish, I started throwing other meat items on there as well as a test, I put a breast in the smoker and it turned out great. I then thought a whole chicken would be good and a pre-cooked one would keep it save and I could get a bit of smoked flavor in it and it would be quick! for $5 it s worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDale View Post
    Never tried it, they are generally so done here that I would be worried I would over do it... I mostly cook thighs or leg quarters and they smoke great at high temps, I can gennerally have them done in 2 hours running my drum at 300/325

What made me think of trying it was that my wife cooked some chicken breasts in the crockpot last weekend and there was some left over when I was smoking my first batch of fish, I started throwing other meat items on there as well as a test, I put a breast in the smoker and it turned out great. I then thought a whole chicken would be good and a pre-cooked one would keep it save and I could get a bit of smoked flavor in it and it would be quick! for $5 it s worth a try!
    I agree, for 5 bucks there is no harm in trying and If it doesn't turn out there is always chicken salad so it is a win win. Look up double smoked hams, it is also a pre cooked meat that is great with a little prep and a smoker

I've smoked many a Chicken, they were always raw and whole when i started though.
    without a doubt best thing to ever come out of my smoker.
    I have a large smoker,Whenever I smoke up some Chukar, Pheasants, or whatever, I always fill in the space with Chickens and Turkey breasts.
    Soon as they're done I get it off the bone and Vac pack it in several small bags while its still warm, then pop it in the freezer.
    That way I always have some tasty treats ready to go when I head out for a day outdoors.

Works great for you. A little feed back from our end on packaging warm products with a vacuum packer. It would be safer, to always vacuum products that have been chilled or cooled. Warm products in a vacuum enviroment are a no-no. No air, warm temps equal problems....

+

Roger that butcher, maybe I been dodging bullets, thanks for the info..
    Just one question though, would the fact that i put them in the freezer right away be what's saved me from any problems?

A precooked bird will have a hard time gaining additional flavor.

For Christmas I smoked a duck on the grill using the process for a chicken from The Domestic Man website. Tasty.

I smoke leg guarters and baste them with bbq sauce for about 5 hours at 160 to 170 degrees. I turn and baste them several times in this length of time. When the leg bones slide out they are done. Very good eating. I also throw some thick sliced bologna on and smoke and bbq it for a couple hours to eat while I am waiting. I have it sliced about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch thick. It has become a big hit also.

I then thought a whole chicken would be good and a pre-cooked one would keep it save and I could get a bit of smoked flavor in it and it would be quick! for $5 it s worth a try!
    I would think that it would get too dry being totally precooked. Why not smoke a raw one for awhile and then finish it off in the oven? Or the other way around.......cook it for awhile whole in the oven or on the grill, and then finish it off in the smoker?

I got a nice smoked turkey for Christmas but when I reheated it in the oven the breast turned out a bit too dry for my liking. The wings, legs, and thighs still were yummy though. So this is why I would think that a totally cooked chicken would end up being too dry by the time it took on enough smoke to make it taste like you want it. But all you can do is try it I guess......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The only reason I would recommend a raw chicken.. is for the fact it gives you the extra time to pop a few tops lol.

On a serious note, let us know how it works out!

Probably, your still alive.......... It's just a bad situation, say you put them in the frig or forgot, whatever, not good.. Do yourself a favor and those eating your product, cool down any product going into a vacuum pouch. Thanks and good luck..

Another thought for you and others. When you pull a vac product from the freezer and lay in the sink to thaw, which we all do. The vacuum needs to be released, cut a corner of the bag, same situation as we addressed earlier.

Could you explain?

If you thaw a vacuum pouch out of the frig the bag needs to be opened, to release the vacuum.

If you don't open the bag, you have perfect conditions for a bug to grow...no oxygen and warm temps...

You're worried about significant bacteria growth in the time it takes to thaw in the sink?

Good to know.

Indeed, safe food handling is important with all the bugs out there. Personally I think the bugs have been there forever we the people don't have the immunity we use to have.

Your getting picky with me on the thawing in the sink. Your watching the product in the sink and you pull it while still cold or has ice crystals.
    No problems...

Most I would guess, in the sink to thaw and off to work we go knowing it will be thawed when we get home 8 to 10 hours later. This is not good. Let it thaw in the frig.

Thanks for the interest.

Let it thaw in the frig or cut bag open to release vac in the sink.

Just trying not to kill my wife and kid.

Already plenty to worry about with canned salmon. Probably need to pay more attention to the other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast