Thread: Chitina Sonar data/link to F&G updated daily data

Default Chitina Sonar data/link to F&G updated daily data

Here's the location of F&G's Daily Sonar numbers at Miles Lake...

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...php?mode=daily

It's not always updated every day but nearly so.
    And of course they say how it takes two weeks from where these are counted to get to Chitina(I've always heard/figured 10 days to two weeks) but that sure can vary. Last years late run of the first reds and then HUGE surge of fish just didn't get to Chitina any where in that time window. At the annual meeting of the Chitina Dipnetters Association there was talk of a second sonar counter at the upper limit of the Chitina Personel Use Fishery(the bridge to McCarthy crossing the Copper) so as to be able to hold open Supplemental Periods until it was known that the 'extra' fish actually had moved. Mark Hem commented on how he's rarely seen the Supplemental periods matching the movement of the fish. The F&G guy said it would take $100,000 or was it $200,000? to put a second sonar in. He quoted the same price as Miles Lake sonar which is isolated and reachable only by boat. Gotta be cheaper than that one way out there.
    I sure missed all those fish of overabundance the last two times I went on a supplemental period. If they ain't moving they ain't moving. Does seem a shame to limit the supplemental period to a week when that is so unlikely to match/catch the movement of those fish through Chitina.
    Anyhow todays numbers look good, so good luck to you this summer! Should not be too long now.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Best dates

Hey Paul....when do you think the best dates are going to be to fish in the next month? I am coming up at the end of June (25th...vacationing right now in Mexico), and am trying to hold my friend off from going until then. After looking at the numbers, good fishing probably won't start till around the 18th-21st??? Just wondered....thanks for any info.

Default More Copper Info

Here's some more Copper Info about openings

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...itschedule.cfm
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I'd wager that most of the cost isn't from transportation when the thing costs $100-200k
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Sonar and when to go

I wouldn't take that bet either, but to run an isolated camp(room and board) and provide transportation and communications is going to cost a lot more than one in town. Even if the "town" is Chitina. Analogy is the big Gold mine here outside of Fairbanks(Fort Knox). They say there are another dozen known and proven deposits of equal or better grade and volume in the Interior but Fort Knox was on the grid(well close, they did have to string some electric lines) and there is a local labor pool. Made the project do able and profitable.
    Point being that its probably(note the qualifier from someone who is speculating freely with little or no experience or knowledge of the exact situation, ha) much cheaper to put and maintain a sonar at the bridge in Chitina than at Miles Lake.

When to go the other guy asked...F&G says 14 days outa Miles Lake, so go by their numbers, add 14 days and thats the best guess. I have had some luck but more than not (in my case) missed them as they were not moving.
    Within the last two weeks(two fridays ago?) the Fairbanks Daily Newminer had an article on Chitina. Mark Hem, who charters outa O'Brian Creek, said june is better for getting a King but July and early August are better for more steady movement of Reds. That is June has more Kings and even if there are a lot of reds moving it tends to be more hot/cold or hit-or-miss.
    I've gone down in June the last two years trying to catch the surge of reds moving(especially last year as was late and then all of a sudden Miles Lake had record numbers for about a week) and missed(got a king and a few hard earned reds so did not get skunked) both years. And then went later in the summer, last year almost into August, and did much better on the reds. With it being real slow some and so taking breaks or going up to the tent and getting some sleep(being able to drive down the canyon, park and set up a tent) and then trying later with it picking up before too long(dipping for aobut 1 1/2 or two days total) Got my limit and a proxie as well or as much as I wanted or could handle. (the second day its nice to have some Nuprin, or whatever works on body aches and stiffness for you, to take as a day of dipping leaves one a wee bit worn out)
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com