I never get as good a group with 296 when cold so I started fooling with it. Deer season here is not cold enough to worry about it so I never did the work. I tried magnum primers but they just enlarged groups so I upped the powder charge 1/2 gr to 1 gr and it works but I was still not happy.
I picked the RD 265 gr to play with. In the summer, this boolit will do 3/4" at 50 yards and 1-1/4" at 100 with 22 gr of 296.
I used 22.5 gr of 296 for the coldwinter Felix.jpg
Fed 150 primer
Felix lube, but I figured the lube is getting too hard. I made a new batch and cut the beeswax down. I mixed the oils and stirred the right amount of time before adding Ivory soap. For some reason when I worked in all the soap I must have used too much. All of a sudden the oils jelled, looked like Vaseline and I had some flakes of soap left.
I put it into the melted beeswax and added the lanolin, stirred for a while and poured it into plastic food trays. Most soap stayed in the pan and any in the lube settled out in the second tray.
It came out perfect and I put the trays in the freezer to break the lube out but it never got real hard, still flexible and sticky.
Went down and shot just enough to where I could not feel my fingers or stop the shivering. This is what I got off the bench at 50 yards.
Left target has two groups with summer Felix, center had the first shot low at lube change and the right target shows my shivering.
I am close to summer groups.