Thread: RV dry camping

Default RV dry camping

Just wondering on where everyone heads to when they aren't staying at a campground. I prefer dry camping over parking lots and would enjoy checking out some new places. Fishing and hunting around is a bonus but not necessary. Thanks, Johan

Kasilof River mouth is great to visit. Its South side has a nice area big enough for lots and lots of rigs to park there during dipnet season. No facilities. Easy walk to the saltwater. Beautiful sandy beach.

If you go please help keep it clean.

There are several places along the Denali Highway that are good for 'boon docking'! Some that you can hike along the trails, fish, site see or just plain relax. There are lots of gravel pits/old camp site that are open to stay at. It just takes some time to explore and find where they are at. We normally head either towards the Denali or Glenn Allen area or along the Richardson. There are lots of places, the traffic is not bad and some really nice country. There is one spot on the Richardson that we have boon docked at and in one evening watched 35 Black bear on a hill side. Last summer in a area along the Glenn Highway, where we were boon docked, we have seven grizzly bear come through in a period of 5 days. I am sure that some were the same bear but....

IMG_1750.jpg
    Here is a picture of one of our boon docking camp trips.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like quite the camp you guys run bearcat. We will be checking out the denali highway this summer for sure, and I hope to come across a hill side that has even remotely close to that many bear. Although it would be quite the haul from here, the White Mountains was a very nice area with tons of trails and scenery.

Tough question to answer without knowing what your camper is. Class A and C motorhomes are fairly limited on how far off the beaten path they can go without getting buried or worse. Of course there are gravel pads and pullouts along all the highways but I find the highway noise a bit too much for me so the further i can get off the roadway the better. Most of the "Campgrounds" ran by the state or feds are close to dry camping witht eh exception you can pump water when needed. If you are heading south to the Kenai, Williwaw Campground is on the Portage Glacier road and is really nice. Once you head up Turnagian Pass southbound you can of course part at the top in the snow machine or x-country ski lots but they can get noisy if 18 wheelers pull in for the night and idle. Tenderfoot Campground is at Summit Lake and is amazing and of course there are several pullouts and gravel areas on either side that you can pull into. I would say that the Kenai offers some of the best Dry Camping campgrounds int eh state. If you are heading east on the Glen Hwy. you will have the same options wiht gravel pullouts but most of those won't be until you get up to Eureka. Right before Eureka just past Sheep Mountain is a gravel road that takes off to a communication tower kown as Knob Hill and you can easily drive a large motor home down that road and camp in one of the pull off areas along the road. The Milepost is probably the best resource for dry camping in Alaska because it lists all of the pullouts as well as any local fishing hotspots along the way. If you would like more suggestions send me a message and I will get back to you. I have camped from Atigun to Seldovia and McCarthy to Ninilchik and everywhere in between. Camping has been a source of enjoyment in my family as long as I can remember.

Since we seldom go 'south' I have little to add for camping in that direction. However going 'north' is another thing! Depending on what type of vehicle you are using there are lots of places to hide in. Most of the ones that we use have little to do with hunting/fishing, but are good places to get away from it all and some are good jump off point to go four wheeling. One thing that we did several years ago was to take the truck and just start driving the Parks, Glenn and Richardson, pulling into any place that looked like a place that we could get our motor home in to. One would be amazed on the number of places there are that can be used. There are several old gravel pits that were used to build/rebuild roads that make nice places to hide in. Also there are some of the old pipe line camp sites that are really nice to be in. My suggestion is to take some time and do some 'scouting' looking for places that suit your needs/wants. There are lots on them out there!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    IMG_1750.jpg
    Here is a picture of one of our boon docking camp trips.
    Hey, your camping in my spot...lol.

I like this area a lot better then 130 mile. There are times that I does get a little crowded but we also get to meet some 'good' people then also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Hey, your camping in my spot...lol.

Ya, we have a good time camping and riding out of that spot. Always run into interesting folks.