Thread: mini jet boats?

Default mini jet boats?

I'm uncertain if anyone may have info on the origins of these? If so, I'd like to learn some history. There appears to be a fella who's made a business of them up in Fairbanks. Also, I've seen youtube videos of guys making these little boats. It seems, that New Zealanders were running mini jet boats as early as 1960?
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/in dex.php?board=9.0

Projects section everything you need to know

My buddy and I are each building one this winter. Should be a fun summer toy. On the NZ forum there are a lot of guys building them in alaska this winter.

Besides being a fun toy, I wonder what they would be useful for? The ones you see on those NZ forums don't appear as though they could haul much of a load, ie a moose. It's one thing to go on a deer hunt, but quite another to go for larger prey.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Besides being a fun toy, I wonder what they would be useful for? The ones you see on those NZ forums don't appear as though they could haul much of a load, ie a moose. It's one thing to go on a deer hunt, but quite another to go for larger prey.
    Making multiple trips to haul out the goods will be half the fun
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Get to good fishing spots, and the obvious, multiple trips will be fun! I am excited to test the abilities of them, to see if enough fuel and gear and say a caribou can be hauled with one.

is it true that Mr. Hamilton was a New Zealander? Thanks for the reference to the nz forum, I don't have time to join another forum though. If anyone locally has some history to share about the origins of the mini jet boat, it would be greatly appreciated. It appears that the first mini jet boats may have been used even earlier than 1960! Something like 1958 or so. I'm just trying to verify accurate dates.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Making multiple trips to haul out the goods will be half the fun
    Roger that
    A Caribou should not be an issue for one guy and some gear, at least for the ones I have been in while visiting NZ. The guys over there regularly pack light and use them for deer, BUT, they don't have many miles to cover. Heck, my last moose hunt covered more distance than the width of the South island. I think a guy would be better off with some of the smaller FireFish boats, I mean, how small a creek do you really want to run?
    Ok, dumb question. Real small.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The question I have is how many reds will this hold? That and how hard would it be to mount a holder for a dipnet?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I am super interested in finding out more info on these also..

for me its mostly just a toy if you just go out and run rivers alot why beat up the big boat all summer theyre just like a smowmachine or a jet ski if your into it its cool to have

Here is a short video from the Juneau Empire on a new startup. May be worth checking out, looks like their boats could be a lot of fun. Not a ton of info, but you'll get the idea. http://bcove.me/615t3rfb