Thread: caribou fur coat

Default caribou fur coat

hi, can you make a fur coat from caribou hide? how common is it to make a caribou skin parka? how nany hides you need for a coat for a 200 lb man who wears xl shirts?

I mean NO disrespect, but what a man wears does not make him a hunter...........mostly makes one look like a goof'ball pretending to be what he AIN'T. However to address your question, only the ankle hide is used to make mukluks, the other "HAIR" is too brittle. If you are in good physical condition, I suggest you contact APHA, and get some field time as a camp laborer, or Packer for a quality guide/outfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    hi, can you make a fur coat from caribou hide? how common is it to make a caribou skin parka? how nany hides you need for a coat for a 200 lb man who wears xl shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I mean NO disrespect, but what a man wears does not make him a hunter...........mostly makes one look like a goof'ball pretending to be what he AIN'T. However to address your question, only the ankle hide is used to make mukluks, the other "HAIR" is too brittle. If you are in good physical condition, I suggest you contact APHA, and get some field time as a camp laborer, or Packer for a quality guide/outfitter.
    ????????? He just asked if one could make a coat from a caribou hide, jeeesh.

Wow that's a bit uncalled for there agl he never even asked about mucklucks he asked about a coat. Unless you read something between the lines that I missed I don't think he even mentioned making a caribou suit to run through the Tundra in again he just asked about making one.

To answer your question wanna be yes caribou makes a very warm coat and it was very common to wear for the indigenous people St one time. I would think two hides would be more than enough but I can't answer that as I'm not a seamstress.

AGL4now go take a nap your grumpy

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Sure you can make a coat out of Caribou hide.. here's an older posting on another forum
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...444-Fur-things

thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.

I tanned two caribou this year, keep in min the hollow hair is fairly brittle, but the process was fun. I haven't decided what I'm going to make yet, but I'm defiantly after more hides next year!!! A hide from a yearling is way better than from a big bull in my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I have been reading up that the inuits used the fur side on the inside. how do uou keep the fur side from breaking and coming apart? Also how did you go about tanning the hides? did you make a coat after tanning?

If you Google Tan caribou hides it will answer most of your questions about tanning.

I used the "Lutan-f" kit from VanDykes, it was very easy, just follow the instructions closely. The key to a good hide is really in the prep before the tanning.

The hardest part is breaking it, I stretched mine by hand over a week or so as it dried.

I haven't made anything from it yet, can't decide what I want but I though some pillows would be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    so I have been reading up that the inuits used the fur side on the inside. how do uou keep the fur side from breaking and coming apart?
    They were not concerned about multiple year use. They made garments as needed from accumulated hides.

Many Inupiat used reindeer skins for parkas. Probably the Saami did too.
    These folks used caribou i/s-o/s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiOIRVIPcdM

I hunted Polar Bear and Musk Ox several times in Grise Fiord, Nunavut and always wore Caribou hide pants, jacket and mukluks. All hair side out and super warm and comfortable. They made the clothing there and I believed they only green tanned it, so it didn't smell that great. I think it's a cool idea.

one decent sized hide would make a short jacket type coat... but, you would probably want two or possibly three to make a better looking parka.

my reindeer from last fall is more than big enough for a parka... however, the sleeves would look funny if just used the one hide with hair on for a coat..

really need to look at parkas made by inuits and eskimos on the way they laid out backing, collars, and sleeves. all hair with the grain, all seams flowing with the lay of the hair. What I still can't believe is how light (weight) and warm the hide is.

seamtressing is a good thing to learn, and wearing your own sewn clothes is a reward unto itself.

and utilizing hides or buckskin you have provided is even better.

Chris