Thread: New here and wanting to learn.

Default New here and wanting to learn.

I am wanting to do a drop camp Caribou hunt in the future and would like to learn as much as I can about the state, caribou hunting with a bow and hunt planning. Any help i could get would be great. I will be doing a lot of searches here but some pointers on the basics would be nice. Thanks.

Well my first though would be doing a slope hunt. If you don't mind other people you can hunt the road (it's bow) or you can call some of the air carriers up there (70 north, full curl aviation) and get them to drop you off, those run 2,000 per person. Hope that helps.

We fly out of Kotz with Eric at Backcountry Flying Services. He's an awesome guy and took very good care of us. He was $650.00 and hour. Your costs could be pretty high or low depending on where the herd is. We had to head way up this year and it took over 2 hours to get to them. Heck, if you hit it right it could take 20 minutes to get to them. Just remember you will need a meat run or maybe two so it's not one trip in and one trip out. Do your research on the ADF&G site for hunting with a bow. Residents have to pass a proficiency course not sure how non-resident works.

Default Caribou hunt questions

Certificate needed only for bow only areas Im told? Like the Haul rd. I have found it to be near $2K for ride in and out but an additional $700+ to get meat out. How is the hunting in 20 D,E, and B? I was looking at 40 mile air. Anyone have thoughts about that? Thank you for the help.

I've never hunted forty mile. It's normally a quick hunt from what I hear (I think you can fly out to sub units that stay open longer but don't quote me on that) The Macomb plateau has bou but it's a hike.

The test isn't much if you know how to shoot it just takes a Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    Well my first though would be doing a slope hunt. If you don't mind other people you can hunt the road (it's bow) or you can call some of the air carriers up there (70 north, full curl aviation) and get them to drop you off, those run 2,000 per person. Hope that helps.
    When I asked about it that was 2000 per person each way so about 4000

2000 per person each way sounds pretty steep?

AK.. what exactly is a slope hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by razorsharptokill View Post
    2000 per person each way sounds pretty steep?
    You should call and ask. I'm pretty sure is 2 grand per person. It's 1200 per flight for a drop off up the invishak and that's for a 600 pound load.

Full curl aviation told me 2200 per person for drop hunts too.

Quote Originally Posted by razorsharptokill View Post
    AK.. what exactly is a slope hunt?
    North of the Brooks Range is commonly referred to as the North Slope. So many just call it "the slope"......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sorry razor yes the slope refers to north of the brooks range. I normally hunt in the foothills of the brooks it's probably my second favorite place on earth (first is a small mountain lake in my home town) it's a fantastic place to hunt and you can almost guarantee that you will see animals. It's about 350 miles north of Fairbanks on the haul road (dalton highway) which is a dirt road mostly with few services (Yukon river and coldfoot) it's a great drive and a great hunt even if you just hunt off the road.

Ok, thanks. I have a while to do more research. I guess the air service we choose depends on where the Caribou are and what areas the service flies to. One thread I read on Bowsite.com was about a hunt on the Charley river in 20. Looked like awesome country. They flew with 40 mile air.

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    We fly out of Kotz with Eric at Backcountry Flying Services. He's an awesome guy and took very good care of us.

Same experience we had with him on two previous float trips above Kotz. Great pilot!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Are you asking 'WHERE' to hunt or are you asking "WHAT" you need to do to prepare to hunt?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I think he's asking a bit of both but I started with where cause I don't have much experience bow hunting caribou. My buddy who has shot several says you chances go way up if you can shoot from 60 yards effectively. Also walking on the tundra sucks! Look for ridge lines that generally have smaller tussocks.

I know I want to bow hunt Caribou. I'd prefer not to have to hunt in waders and race 100 other guys to a herd. I'm thinking that I want to go with a transporter and be dropped off on a ridgetop near a huntable herd.

Razor, I would then call some transporters, full curl or 70 north for north of the brooks (I have not flown with either but what from what I've heard I would probably go with full curl) or fly out of Kotzabue, don't know who flys out of there.

Might be prudent to point out, if they are only transporters and not guides, they are technically breaking the law if they help you find animals I believe.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett