Thread: Coghill River

Default Coghill River

I am looking for information on water conditions on the coghill river in late May. Has anyone been up the river or on the trail that time of year?

I have never been successful getting my boat actually into the river. If you have a tender with a jet you can probably get into there. In late may it will just depend on how much snow that area gets (usually a lot). The trail could be hikeable in rubber boots, or you might need snowshoes.

Here's a couple of photos from May 22, 2010. Plenty of water that year for a jet boat. I would never attemp this river with a prop unless it was a small inflatable, but i've heard of guys walking a 20 foot aluminum prop boat up through the shallows all the way into the lake in May.

The picture with the boat was taken just below the Fish & Game wier cabin at the headwaters to the river. The other picture was taken just above the F&G cabin looking towards the lake.

We only saw one bear on the river that year. There was a lot more bear activity along the shorelines further down the bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've taken both a Mark III Futura/50hp prop and a 10'6 Zodiac tender/6hp prop all of the way to the ADFG cabin without problems. The only part that concerned me was the big wakes thrown by jet boats going the opposite direction. In the weir section keep to the right and stay on step or you'll be replacing a propeller. If you have two strong guys and a light boat you could just run it into the shallow and pull it through.

The trail is quite nice, corduroyed in places, and I'd recommend against ill-fitting waders. While bears are present in this area I'd second the recommendation to hunt the area immediately south of the outlet. Also, respect the tides if you're going to go hiking and leave your boat tied up. There are at least a half-dozen corduroys that are missing when my buddy found his boat high and dry and I couldn't pull him down into the water with my boat...