Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring spots in the sound for a BIG boat???

Default Anchoring spots in the sound for a BIG boat???

So we have decide to go big and not go home!! HA This will be the last boat I buy, DOUBLE HA....But really, I'm looking to buy a 45' boat, my last boat was a 26'. I've only been as far out as Perry island to the east, port wells to ester passage to the north, Blackstone, cochrane, and all through Nellie Juan....finding a spot for a 26' boat easy....for a 45 foot boat....not so easy....any sugestions on anchor spots....of course with a bigger boat we can venture further than before and on so afraid of getting "too far" away....Thanks for the help!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

What's the draft?

Honestly most of the places I've anchored my boat up I've seen 45' and slightly longer vessels. Other than draft and beam constraints, there really isn't a reason you can't bring a larger vessel into most anchorages as your swinging distance is going to be determined by the scope of your rode which is determined by the depth of the anchor.

The Lethchoe's wrote their guide cruising the sound in a sailboat with a keel likely needed quite a bit more draft than a power boat, so spots they cover should work for you.

I'd say explore Knight Island, the Southern Sound, Montague. The only place I haven't ventured with my 22' boat is Montague, but I've been down to Bainbridge to South and out to Green Island.

I guess the question is are you looking for loctions for fishing, shrimping, hunting or just new places to explore?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I moved from a 26' Tolly to a 43' Taiwan trawler. Besides having lots more interior and deck space, more room for guests, the ability to carry my dinghy instead of towing it, etc. the increased cruising range with twin diesels opened up the entire PWS for exploration. Last season was a 50/50 mix of revisiting some of our old favorite anchorages, and trying out lots of new ones in places I'd never been.

In general, I would say the difference in anchorages that are suitable for a boat in the 45-60 range are not that different from places you'd put a boat in the 24-36 range. Know your depths and bottom composition, watch your swing, be aware of the Sound's extreme tidal range and know what to expect (higher or lower) the next day when you weigh anchor. I have taken the "big boat" in some pretty narrow/shallow passages to get to an anchorage where I wanted to spend the night--Day Care Bay on Perry, Three-Finger Cove in Cochrane, Bettles Bay Lagoon in Wells, Nellies Rest off PNJ, Copper Bay at Knight, and many more. Just take the time to become well acquainted with the handling characteristics and systems of your new boat, pay close attention to depths and currents, and enjoy some of those seldom-visited spots in PWS that are far off the beaten path!
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

I have taken my 18' searunner out to montague several times. I was out at Monti 4 different times last summer plus a couple trips down between southern knight and Montague off point Helen.....

I agree with the above - that you should be able to get on the hook as a 20 or 30 foot boat. The commercial guys stay out there for days at a time - I have seen them in a lot of different bays.

I worked on a 54' seine boat in the sound. My skipper was very knowledgeable on the sound.
    There are many safe anchorages in the sound for a boat of that size. I don't think you will have trouble finding plenty of safe anchorages.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Fox Farm Bay, Erlington Island is fantastic. I have a 30' boat and have stayed there many times. Often boats much bigger than mine are there and as many as four. Very secure, mud and sand bottom, fishing is good, good landing beaches if you want to go ashore. It's also close to lots of good halibut and salmon fishing.

One of the nice things about a big boat is you can carry a couple hundred feet of chain rode. In almost 15 years of running my 38 footer in the sound, I never needed to put out more than the 200' of chain in all the places I used to take my 26 footer for my overnight stays. I had another 300' of 5/8 double braid behind the chain but never used it even in the deeper anchorages. The chain reduces your scope and swing so you can drop the hook in pretty tight places. You can take it into most places a smaller boat can go like 27 fathom hole, Copper Bay and Hidden Bay on Culross. That boat will be your cabin on the water with an ever changing view - enjoy!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    One of the nice things about a big boat is you can carry a couple hundred feet of chain rode. In almost 15 years of running my 38 footer in the sound, I never needed to put out more than the 200' of chain in all the places I used to take my 26 footer for my overnight stays. I had another 300' of 5/8 double braid behind the chain but never used it even in the deeper anchorages. The chain reduces your scope and swing so you can drop the hook in pretty tight places. You can take it into most places a smaller boat can go like 27 fathom hole, Copper Bay and Hidden Bay on Culross. That boat will be your cabin on the water with an ever changing view - enjoy!
    More chain is always better, as long as it doesn't sink you.

fox farm bay ... south east end of baimbridge passage .... awsome place to anchor up totally protected, have seen 75 ft + fishing boats anchor up there, several other boats there on a week end in the summer. fish not far away .... take the dingy down and explore, although I have seen black bear walking the shoreline, nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    fox farm bay ... south east end of baimbridge passage .... awsome place to anchor up totally protected, have seen 75 ft + fishing boats anchor up there, several other boats there on a week end in the summer. fish not far away .... take the dingy down and explore, although I have seen black bear walking the shoreline, nice place.
    Yeah, I've seen the Itswoot run across the bar at the North end at high tide but couldn't bring myself to try it as it goes bare at low tide. Hogg Bay is another good anchorage a bit further up Bainbridge but the jelly smack plugged my generator once later in the summer in there. Never seen so many jellies! Puffin Bay at the head of Bainbridge is also great but you've got to watch the kelp at the entrance.

Thanks for the info, Its got a 4 1/2 foot draft, I was just concerned about narrow bays where you have to put out 2:1 or 3:1 scope, which with a 45' boat is 90-150 foot of line.....big swing diameter....or am I wrong? Less line beacuse of chain? anyway also plan on taking a seamanship class...Thanks
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

I disagree. There are no fish anywhere near Fox Farm or Puffin Cove. The best fishing for halibut is clearly in Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    Thanks for the info, Its got a 4 1/2 foot draft, I was just concerned about narrow bays where you have to put out 2:1 or 3:1 scope, which with a 45' boat is 90-150 foot of line.....big swing diameter....or am I wrong? Less line beacuse of chain? anyway also plan on taking a seamanship class...Thanks
    scope goes by water depth not boat length. just get a oversize anchor and double the size of chain and you'll be fine.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I bought a copy of the Prince William Sound Cruising Guide this winter and would highly recommend it if you don't already have a copy.

Ronster .... have a copy of Lithcoe's pub and it is very good, one of a kind publication.

T.R. have you ever fished SW PWS? SE side of Ellerington in the underwater hills and plateaues 60 ft and less you will not find better large pelagic Rockfish 8 to 10 lb variety or Ling cod, I have landed 50 + lb fish, about 10 miles away, add 15 miles to it you are at Cape Clear on the south end of Montague ... world class Halibut, if you know what you are doing ...... we are talking about big boats here that can go a ways with out running out of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Ronster .... have a copy of Lithcoe's pub and it is very good, one of a kind publication.

T.R. have you ever fished SW PWS? SE side of Ellerington in the underwater hills and plateaues 60 ft and less you will not find better large pelagic Rockfish 8 to 10 lb variety or Ling cod, I have landed 50 + lb fish, about 10 miles away, add 15 miles to it you are at Cape Clear on the south end of Montague ... world class Halibut, if you know what you are doing ...... we are talking about big boats here that can go a ways with out running out of fuel.
    Nothing to see there....keep moving along!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Nothing to see there....keep moving along!
    BK

Are you sure? been do'in this for years ..... you have a lot to learn!IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1842.jpg

they would only give me two pics .... two more ... the truth.IMG_1845.jpgIMG_7701.jpg

twoIMG_2142.jpg more .... lots of fish in SW PWS_MG_9222.jpg

Just a little more truth ..... _MG_9222.jpgIMG_1877.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast