Thread: Box Magazine modification

Default Box Magazine modification

Hello,

I'm midway through my lightweight build. I am looking to lighten up my box magazine in a kimber montana. What method would you use to cut this item.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

So what does a Kimber magazine box even weigh?

I suppose you could drill some holes in it but thin stuff is tricky to drill without distortion.

I personally donít like the reliability tradeoff, you take off very little weight but gain more ways something can go wrong with feeding. I can see thinning the follower but not going to get much out of the box.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

2.5 oz for it all (magazine box/spring/follower)

I know an aluminum/ti follower would be great, but even the mountain ascent has the same exact magazine box/spring/follower, so theres no difference in weight. I dont know how if i would thin the follower myself.

I have seen other box magazines "stamped/cut" without the metal in the center of the magazine box.

Just looking for additional weight savings and dont want to overlook anything small as it all adds up. and i have already spent too much money playing around with it

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

What caliber is it and what have you done to it already? What is the weight you currently have on the rifle?
    I'm curious because my next build is going to be a lightweight build, that's if I don't buy the ascent first

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Ill do a write up once everything is back and ive shot it an dworked a load. but.....

7mm-08 montana used
    talley lw scope mounts
    aluminum trigger guard
    TI bolt handle
    Factory replaced firing pin and spring to correct misfiring issue.
    Stan Jackson blueprinted action and bedded
    Kevin Weaver is currently cutting barrel from 22"-20", Spiral Flute Barrel and bolt, Skeletonize action
    Built a LW sling at .9 oz
    Put a 3-9x33 leupold Ultralight on it.
    Im excited to shoot it and build a load. should be a little lighter and a little more accurate compared to its factory state.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Looking forward to the write up. I still haven't settled on a caliber yet for mine. Looking at the 257wby, 25-06, or the 280ai. Now they bring out that 26 Nosler so I may wait a bit and see what is said about that round. I'd like to build a medium caliber rifle for deer, goat, sheep etc.... Too many decisions

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Fwiw, most mag boxes that are windowed are that way for a reason other than weight savings. Rem and Winchester use windowed boxes to allow the larger diameter belt less magnums, ie SAUMs, WSMs, and RUMs, to stack correctly for feeding geometry. I lighten rifles for part of my living and no way no how would I be caught drilling holes in a mag box, the savings in weight are so slight as to be near imeasurable and the risk of causing feeding issues is a very real possibility. If a Aluminum or TI follower can't be sourced and you are really concerned about that last gram or 2, I would look around for one of the early Kimber followers that are made of plastic.

In the end I would be willing to wager the cost of your rifle that if I handed you two of them that were identical you couldn't tell me which one I had left the box, spring, and follower out of without looking. Light is great but sometimes enough is enough and I certainly wouldn't want to possibly compromise reliability for less than an ounce of weight savings.

Great Info. Im not trying to put weight over reliability, just drop weight where I can.
    NRA life Member JVJ