Thread: Seward or Valdez

Default Seward or Valdez

A friend (really) has asked me to help him with a trip with summer. He likes halibut fishing but would also like to be able to find a place for fishing when not on a boat. He and I have been to Cordova three times for September silver fishing, he would like something like that. He is definitely not a purist, likes to feel a tug…. and a lot of them.

I have been to Seward and Valdez and I recall having more of a challenge in Seward. I was thinking that in his late July/early August Allison Pt would be his cup of tea. I think I may have fished some small lakes around Valdez as well.

I don't want to steer him wrong, what would you tell someone with these interests?

Would appreciate any input, I am feeling the pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by larryb View Post
    A friend (really) has asked me to help him with a trip with summer. He likes halibut fishing but would also like to be able to find a place for fishing when not on a boat. He and I have been to Cordova three times for September silver fishing, he would like something like that. He is definitely not a purist, likes to feel a tug…. and a lot of them.

I have been to Seward and Valdez and I recall having more of a challenge in Seward. I was thinking that in his late July/early August Allison Pt would be his cup of tea. I think I may have fished some small lakes around Valdez as well.

I don't want to steer him wrong, what would you tell someone with these interests?

Would appreciate any input, I am feeling the pressure...
    I haven't fished valdez from shore, but I fish out of kayak so I am typically by the shoreline. I have fished silvers out of Seward from shore and its spotty at best. Some years the silvers can be thick in the bay, but never seem to come into casting range.

From what I have observed in Valdez. If you go late enough in the year...typically labor day weekend is the weekend I go...can't go too much later since the seiners start hammering them the day after I think. But in the time frame you mention Silvers in Seward will not be in shore based fishing range from my experience. I start catching them from shore in the last week of August and First week of September.

In Valdez, you will likely get a TON of tugs but they will all be pinks...I think.

Here's a link to Valdez basic info http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...ubs/valdez.pdf

Seward: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...ubs/seward.pdf

It seems general correct to me. Make sure you read the sections because the timing is different than the boat based fisherman.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I agree with Kardinal, Valdez would likely provide lots of action from the shore, but the vast majority will be pinks.

Thanks for the replies, that is consistent with my experience and I think the pinks would not be an issue for him.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by larryb View Post
    Thanks for the replies, that is consistent with my experience and I think the pinks would not be an issue for him.
    You'll get a lot of pinks in Seward in that same time frame. Silvers later, sockeye earlier.

Late July/early August is getting a bit late for Pinks in Valdez, and its also a bit early for Silvers (if you want to hit the peak times). Allison point is excellent for pinks, but if you want to hit them good you need to be there the week after the 4th generally. After that the seiners get the end of them. Second week in in August sees the silver numbers pick up and the trolling starts. The silver derby starts on the 19th of August this year.