Thread: Question about Closely Attended Lines

Default Question about Closely Attended Lines

I understand that by the definition of closely attended lines, a strike indicator of some sort must be in plain view and accessible at all times. My question related to this law is this.

Let's say for example you are fishing at night on a lake that has a daily bag limit of 5 burbot per person per day. Since burbot are primarily active at night, this is the time of day you would be actively fishing for them. So, say you have 3 or 4 people out fishing with tip-ups for burbot. In theory, all the tip-ups are in plain view, because they are within reasonable distance to you and your friends. However, with 3 or 4 people you could have 15 or 20 tip-ups set out. It is pitch dark out and there is no way to see all of your tip-ups at the same time. Is this in violation of closely attended lines? How about if you are in a cabin and you are all within reasonable distance to your tip-ups (say less than 1/4 mile away)? This rule seems very vague to me and I have a lot of questions about it. In particular the fact that burbot fishing is a night time activity, but yet you have to have your lines in plain view.

It seems to me this is kind of a ridiculous law that is just asking to be broken. I doubt most people who fish very seriously for this fish in areas with closely attended line regulations are not stretching the rules some way or another. Either they have figured out a way to catch them in the day with regularity, or else they are fishing at night and if that is the case then I can't see how they can be closely attending their lines unless they only have one or two lines out at a time.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=91601

Check this thread out, it might answer the question. Also, last time I went to long lake and fished for burbot at night, i attached these small lights to the tip up, it helped to see where they were all at, and are on sale for $.99 at Freddy's.

I love hooking.

Also, I made these indicators to know when there's a fish on
    http://youtu.be/31CORlbHUl4

I love hooking.

There is tip up lights that light up when there is a hit .they will let you know when there is hit at night.

there are ruls an there are rules you asked the same question, I would like to get a honest answer too , there is no way to see your tip ups at night
    an I don't know what the fish cops will say , for the longest time you set the lines at dusk an check then every couple of hours if you can find them
    in the dark, if you can't AM sun will help I hope , SID PS lights on TIP UPS are new an this law has been out there on the books for a long time

I can see my tip ups perfectly fine with the lights I posted above. Also, I think burbot lines have different rules than traditional tip ups. Burbot lines have to have your name and address on them and must be checked at least once within a 24-hour period. Tip-ups that have to be "closely attended" are the ones that count towards your two poles that you are allowed to use on any lake through the ice, per the regs.

I love hooking.

Also, the link I posted above is an answer to this question by a wildlife trooper.

I love hooking.

The guys at ADF&G told me that by "closely attended lines" they basically mean that you had better be able to beat the warden to them in a footrace when he shows up. I'm not saying that I break the rules but I get the impression that they aren't really strict on this regulation as long as you aren't in blatant violation.
    A cheap easy fix would be to tie a small glow stick on the flag pole of your tipups if you are going to fish at night and you are worried about it. Freddie's on Muldoon has the little ones for halibut jigs on sale for about 75% off right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    I can see my tip ups perfectly fine with the lights I posted above. Also, I think burbot lines have different rules than traditional tip ups. Burbot lines have to have your name and address on them and must be checked at least once within a 24-hour period. Tip-ups that have to be "closely attended" are the ones that count towards your two poles that you are allowed to use on any lake through the ice, per the regs.

I love hooking.
    Be careful, there are exceptions.

Knik area to include Long Lake;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Page 34 upper left corner

Also, while fishing in the Susitna Drainage if you are not in flowing waters you must closely attend your lines;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Page 22 bottom left fourth bullet
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The Long they are referring to in the Knik area is in the Kepler-Bradley complex in Palmer not the Long Lake on the Glen. I believe there are four or five Long Lakes in the valley area. Just had a trooper check my tip ups I had out on Long Lake last weekend and he called a trooper named John that works out of the Glennallen post for further clarification to see If I was in the right to have my 5 tip ups set out. John didn't even know that there was burbot in Long Lake but being that there is I was legal to fish with at least four if I was jigging in the hut and five if I wasn't. Also being I had alarms on the tip ups that made them closely attended as i would know right away if I had a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    The Long they are referring to in the Knik area is in the Kepler-Bradley complex in Palmer not the Long Lake on the Glen. I believe there are four or five Long Lakes in the valley area. Just had a trooper check my tip ups I had out on Long Lake last weekend and he called a trooper named John that works out of the Glennallen post for further clarification to see If I was in the right to have my 5 tip ups set out. John didn't even know that there was burbot in Long Lake but being that there is I was legal to fish with at least four if I was jigging in the hut and five if I wasn't. Also being I had alarms on the tip ups that made them closely attended as i would know right away if I had a flag.
    Long Lake on the Glen is in the Knik Arm management area, look on the map on page 33 near Weiner Lake. The area in green is the "remainder of Knik Arm Freshwaters". It is not listed like the other Long Lake (Kepler-Bradley Complex) so you default to the "general season and limits". What I was referring to was that burbot lines must be closely attended in the Knik area to include Long Lake off the Glen. You can use up to five lines if targeting burbot, but they must be closely attended. Call Sam Ivey the Area Management Bio. out of the Palmer ADF&G office for conformation.

I thought you were referring to the Long Lake with restrictions mentioned within the regs at the top of page 35. With your "exceptions " and all comment I thought you were confused. Glad we're still BFFs.

No, I knew exactly which Long lake was being discussed. Since cptmorganusn was fishing Long Lake off the Glen and mentioned burbot lines must be checked at least once within a 24-hour period, I was trying to clarify for everyone that this is not the case for lakes in the Knik Arm area and lines must be closely attended at all times.

Closely attended...time frame,

,,not a distents to the tip ups, if u can see it u good....!!!!

Gotcha, thanks fishgod. I saw that yesterday while I was re reading the regs since I'm heading up there tonight I think. Any idea if those 5 burbot lines are in addition to the two lines you get to normally fish with?

I love hooking.

If you are fishing 5 burbot lines, you cannot have any additional lines in the water. If you want to fish 2 rods, you can then only set 3 burbot lines per page 4 of the regs:

Ice fishing gear: Sport fishing through the ice is permitted using two closely attended lines, provided only one hook or artificial lure is used on each line, except that additional gear may be used for northern pike and burbot as specified in statewide or area regulations.
    The maximum number of lines/hooks that an angler may deploy is not cumulative and is equal to the maximum number of lines/hooks
    allowed for any species. The number of lines/hooks used to target a species may not exceed the number allowed for that species. For
    example, in a lake where regulations allow 15 lines for burbot and 5 lines for northern pike, the maximum number of lines you may fish is
    15 (not 15 + 5 = 20); and when setting your 15 lines, only 5 of them may be placed to target pike.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    Gotcha, thanks fishgod. I saw that yesterday while I was re reading the regs since I'm heading up there tonight I think. Any idea if those 5 burbot lines are in addition to the two lines you get to normally fish with?

I love hooking.
    No, the 5 burbot lines are not in addition to the standard two. If targeting burbot, you could fish 3 lines for burbot and 2 for other species or fish 4 burbot lines and 1 for other species. Also, remember you have to use a hook that is larger than 3/4 inch while targeting burbot and if using 5 lines only one hook per line.

Sorry, looks like Danner beat me to the punch while typing.

Ok, I understand now, thanks. I was under the impression that burbot/pike lines were in a different category than normal fishing gear.

I love hooking.