Thread: Fuel Flow Meters

Default Fuel Flow Meters

I am trying to find a simple flow meter to install on an inboard 8.1L. What are others using? Any advice?

Default Navman/Northstar F2100 or F3100

Do a search for Navman F2100 or F3100. I've used both and they work well. The 2100 is a stand-alone fuel flow meter. The 3100 takes NMEA input from a GPS and gives you MPG, and a whole lot more.

Navman and Northstar are the same. They're on eBay too.

I have used Floscan flow meters on my boats and I have been very pleased with them. Check them out at:

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/recreationalmarine.php

Good luck!

Default Northstar F210

I just installed this one last week and ran it for the first time this weekend. Great tool. Gave me totla consumption and gallons per hour throught the full range of RPM's. Bought it here and great quick delivery.

http://www.boatersland.com/f210.html
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Fuel Injection

If your motor is fuel injected you must order a model with a return line meter as well.

Search Flo-scan and they have them available. I have looked but not yet purchased. I know the ones that Lowrance sells for their network do not work with FI motors.

Question return line?

I have a Floscan I installed on my 5.7L EFI I/O. It has a series of dip switches to help dial in on the accuracy. It adds a great piece of mind if you have inaccurate fuel gauges (like me). There's no fuel return line on my Floscan as mentioned by C_C. I believe fuel return sensors are for diesel engines?

Default Simple & Cheap

Looked like the Floscan is a mass flow type meter which is very good, but a little pricey. $500 range?? Unless I looked at the wrong kind or range!
    Great Plains Industries {w.GPI.net} sells a digital meter powered by batterys and impeller driven for under $100. Got to keep the fuel going thru this type clean so it goes after the filter.
    I think any injected motor has to have one with a return line aas the fuel pump output is higher than the consumpion, for needed PSI at the injectors, so hence the return line of fuel to bleed off excess fuel.

I have a fuel injected 496. The Floscan does not need a return line. I did mount the guage on my dash but always find an excuse as to why I havent finished the installation, lol.
    This year!
    Tennessee

Which ever one you chose, get one sooner rather than later. With an 8.1L the thing will pay for itself in saved fuel rather quickly. It allows you to dial in the most economical cruise speed. It can be several gallons per hour without much change in speed.

They also allow you to accurately track how much fuel you've used. Assuming you know what you started with, you'll know what you have left - within a few gallons. More than once, I've dipped in to our "reserve" fuel to make a side trip because I knew I had plenty to get back on. That feature alone made it worth it to me. You couldn't do that with the stock fuel gauge, it was so inaccurate you only had a vague idea of what was left in the tank.

I have a NavMan 2100 on my boat. I have used it for a few seasons now, and I don't know what I did without it. The meter is surprisingly accurate. We went on a week long bear hunt, over 70 miles from Whittier, and the fuel meter was a nice piece of insurance.